I think coconut was advocated as the choice for a
cooking oil. Also perhaps one should correspond with
Mercola and ask him what he based his decision on
rather than assuming he made it simply on the basis of
saturated/unsaturated. He does answer mail, I
challenged him on his grain bias and he responded.

Charles McGee M.D. in his "Heart Frauds" goes into
this in more depth than the Mercola article. I am
wondering if you have perused a copy yet.

http://www.mpopc.org.my/abtenbopo2.htm
This webpage notes that coconut oil raises HDL much
better than canola. Zhang writes that in
hypercholesterolemic subjects, palm oil diets lower
the cholesterol levels whereas soy raised it.

It seems to me the lipid saturation is minor and even
inconsistent in evaluating performance and is contrary
to politically correct wisdom. Likewise I am coming to
the conclusion LDL/HDL ratio is far more important
than cholesterol level. I also object to a "healthy"
level of cholesterol being advocated based on the
results of trials conducted in a New York study made
of elderly Jewish men when north Europeans and other
peoples are a different genotype. I believe it is well
established there are metabolic differences in
disparate peoples across this world.

I doubt much distinction is made of thisfactor in the
"double blind" study in New York. Double blind is not
the guarantee of truth one may at first hope for.
Likewise anecdotal evidence is perhaps quite
acceptable if the sample size is large enough. I
really don't see the necessity of a double blind study
in order to know that tight shoes pinch. The anecdotal
evidence is overwhelming that they do.

Kirk

http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/sepp/2003/06/23/sesame_oil_lowers_blood_pressure.htm