"What's the difference between having the tank opening at 3/4" on the
one hand, and having the pump itself stepped down to 3/4"? Do you
think giving the oil a head-start to build up some speed (and
pressure?) in a length of 1" pipe will make any difference? I don't
know (though I doubt it), I'm asking."

The difference is in the pressure drop along the length of pipe (50%
difference).  The 1 inch to 3/4 inch step down will create
approximately the same pressure drop at the pump or the tank, but the
friction in the pipe will change based on the size of the pipe and
where it is.

Andy