Your other choice is an old school MB but since some of them barely
break 30 mpg and are glacially slow, I might just get a newer Ford Focus gasser that gets 35 mpg.

30 mpg for a very heavy, very safe/solid 4-dr sedan running on any form of Bio-diesel is one hell of a lot preferable to ANY 'gasser' @ 35 mpg. I was always impressed with the 30+ miles/gallon my 1980 300D gave me.

In addition this 59 yr old life-long car-freak will state without hesitation, that the 300D was THE best car I've ever driven. The best handling, the safest, the most road-worthy by far. I'm not a reluctant or slow driver. I was warned I'd not be satisfied with the Mercedes because it would be slow. I never was!! I pushed the (#*%&%*&^$ out of that car and was always happy with the performance. It's a heavy, well-made diesel torgue-monster - it can take it. In addition, mine wasn't even the turbo-diesel!

I'm now looking for another - the best I can find to replace my newer gas Mercedes.

These babies are not only a smart buy for bio-fuel folk, but they are nothing less than the best cars on the road! (o.k. I have a bias).

Also, they imported some MB diesels in the mid-late nineties. Again... great cars!

Doug Smith

P.S. By the way, the Mitsubishi Coup that slammed into me from behind and drove me totally through a major intersection... was destroyed all the way up to the windshield. My 300D was totally unscathed! The only sign of being hit was a few pieces of glass embedded in the hard rubber on the back bumper! Can a Focus take that?