Dana,

>1 ltr new safeway brand canola oil in 2 ltr PET bottle
>
>4.9g KOH in 200ml methanol
>
>Heated in water bath to about 140F
>
>Shaken for about 5 mins then every 10-15 mins for the next two hours
>
>Result:  good separation but the BD layer is milky
>

>Test batch 2
>

>1 ltr new safeway brand canola oil in 2 ltr PET bottle
>
>9g KOH in 200ml methanol
>
>Heated in water bath to about 140F
>
>Mixed in blender for 20 mins then poured back into pet bottle to settle
>
>Result:  same as batch 1 only faster

   I will cross reference your methoxide mix with my numbers as I have
undertaken the same experiments comparing different processes (batch, two
stage, acid base).  However, from my experiences, my biod is cloudy after 1
hour of stiring but will settle out rather well over night (12+ hours).
Furthermore, after seperation I let it settle another day (I get some more glyc
on the bottom of the glass flask).  By this time its quite clear.