Hi Gustl,

There is a little known fact about the founding fathers that might shed some
additional light as to whether or not they were religious.

Thirteen signers of the constitution were Freemasons. In order to be a member
of the fraternity, you need to declare your faith in God. You do not have to
subscribe to a particular religion. But, you must be monotheistic.

http://www.freemasonry.org/psoc/masonicmyths.htm

Mike

P.S. Maybe we're related. My Grandmother's last name is Rombach-Steiner. She's
an Emmentaler. ...any relatives in Switzerland? :-)

Gustl Steiner-Zehender <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hallo Todd,

(Sorry this is so late. I have been out of town and unwell.)

Tuesday, 15 February, 2005, 10:56:35, you wrote:

If you will notice you will see that I took no exception with the
essay aside from this:

>>> The Founding Fathers were not religious men,
>> This bit is absolutely false.

The problem I have with your reply is not with you, but with letting
others, whether those others be contemporary society or Webster's
dictionary for that matter, control my world and conception of reality
by controlling the language. We give up enough control of our own
lives as it is without allowing the few to mainpulate the many through
our respective languages whether the few happen to be political,
economic, religious or any other kind of "authorities". What you are
describing below is organized religion not religion itself. A deist
is still a religious person whether they are part of an organized
group or sit alone in a cave in a mountain.

The concern of the founding fathers was with ones personal liberty and
freedom and that folks not be required by the state to believe or
disbelieve one way or the other by anyone particularly the state.
They didn't want a state church established. Their intent was very
clear and and obvious and was clearly stated. We have allowed
partisan interests with what I would consider extreme and unreasonable
views to manipulate us into this situation to further their own
agendas and to assert their will in order to control the rest of us.

If we are going to allow others who are unreasonable to define and
control us then we are going to have to accept that a blowjob isn't
sex, an outright lie is a failure of intel, that allowing private
banks to collect interest called the nationl debt on money that
neither exists nor has anything of worth to back it is in the best
interests of people (fractional banking), and that there is such a
thing as a "good" war.

Religion comes from the inside out and although worship may be
corporate and beliefs shared, religion is personal and subjective.
Anything else may have name and form but it lacks substance. Creed
and sectarianism not religion. They don't teach religion in the
seminaries and theological schools they teach their own partisan
apprehension of religion. That doesn't make it genuine or valid.

But anyway, to say that the founding fathers were not religious men is
just patently absurd. Some were some weren't. What they definitely
were is not willing to have what the believed or didn't believe shoved
down their throats and they weren't willing to shove it down others
throats either. Seems to me they were relatively reasonable men
unlike today. We don't seem to have evolved enough to be reasonable
folks. I would imagine that suits Big Brother just fine because then
he can step in and make the rules and define our words and lives for
us because we are too stupid to learn to get along with one another
and resolve our differences reasonably and peacefully.

Leben und leben lassen. Jeder spinnt anders.

Happy Happy,

Gustl

--
Je mehr wir haben, desto mehr fordert Gott von uns.
Mitglied-Team AMIGA
ICQ: 22211253-Gustli
********
The safest road to Hell is the gradual one - the gentle slope,
soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones,
without signposts.
C. S. Lewis, "The Screwtape Letters"
********
Es gibt Wahrheiten, die so sehr auf der Straße liegen,
daß sie gerade deshalb von der gewöhnlichen Welt nicht
gesehen oder wenigstens nicht erkannt werden.
********
Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't
hear the music.
George Carlin
********
The best portion of a good man's life -
His little, nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love.
William Wordsworth