woods. The bears were here first. I look at all of the trees dying in Western Montana of pine bark beetle, another natural phenomenon caused in part by a warmer, dryer climate, and wonder why we don't cut them, burn them in power plants like the one in Thompson Falls, Montana USA and recycle the carbon into electricity. At the same time wildfire risks are moderated. Instead when this kind of logging is proposed, lawsuits are the inevitable consequence. I have watched hundreds of thousands of acres of Montana burn in the last few years, while the loggers want to strip mine the forests, and the tree huggers want to forbid any activity in the forests that might have any economic benefit to anyone.

bob allen wrote:
Howdy Kirk

Not to downplay the importance of methane to radiative forcing, but it has a half-life in the atmoshpere of only a few years, (it oxidises to CO2)

Now the big question: how in the world do you propose to "manage" termites? I can't even imagine what it means.

Regardless of who wrote:

http://yosemite.epa.gov/OAR/globalwarming.nsf/UniqueKeyLookup/SHSU5BUM9T/$File/ghg_gwp.pdf

Nice discussion re most aspects.

Since CH4 may be 50 times more effective than CO2 as a
greenhouse gas it seems termite management might be
useful.

Kirk