Greetings Mr. O'Reilly
The 22ns you refer to is switching time of the output
chip. What would be meaningful is response time from
an input to the port and the corresponding output
after processing time.

Of course all of it will be very quick  compared to
the response time of a heater. I think what is being
neglected in this discussion is emphasis on the
ability to measure several things and graph them and
store the records for later use. Transducers are a
fascinating study and the heart of interfacing digital
computers to the physical world.

Don't forget backup failsafes. Any accidents in this
fledgling enterprise will be blown all out of
proportion to the public. Home processing could be
banned for example. The people that own petroleum
don't want competition.

Kirk

.