Thanks so much for your response. It address a question I have been curious about. You say we are at or near the peak of production of oil. Is that because the amount of oil given the present reserves can not be extracted faster or is it because it is not profitable to extract it faster i.e. the price would drop and the companies would not maximize profits if they pumped it faster. If it is the later, would not the increased demand by more countries put huge pressure, political and military as well as economic, to pump faster? My concern is that although the relation between global warming and human activity seems complex and murky, there is no doubt that fossil fuels pump huge amounts of heavy metals, acid, carcinogens, and particulate matter that irritates the lungs into the air. Using up the available oil at a faster rate would increase the concentrations of these substances which are life threatening to large numbers of people. For me this is a more immediate threat than climate change though admittedly in the long run climate change may be potentially more serious.
Rick

Hakan Falk wrote:

Rick,

Interesting, especially since many now realize that we are at, or close to, the peak of oil production. It is not possible to reach larger levels of pollution from oil, than the current levels. US who use 25% of the worlds energy resources, will not have possibility to grow and will probably have to compete with Asia on the oil market. This means that whatever growth in Asia, it is compensated by a decline in an other place, both in use and pollution. Maybe you by unsustainable mean the US use of oil, since an equal use per capita by China and US, mean that US and China would use all of the world energy resources between them. The US energy use is outrageously irresponsible and is in itself totally unsustainable, this without involving any other parties.

Do not worry, the by US beloved free market forces will balance the use somewhat. We are now seeing price level of oil around the 50$ mark and I think that it will go well above that. The days of cheap oil are over and China/Asia will compete with US and Europe on equal terms, nothing wrong in this and nothing to complain about. If US can outbid China/Asia/Europe, it will not be any problems, other than an equal economical playing field.

I read a research study from the depletion group at Uppsala University, that proved that the oil reserve would be finished long before we reached the worst cases of Global warming. If this is going to happen, we have to assume that it comes from something else than oil. A rapid development of the coal reserves might trigger some of the global warming scenarios. The coal reserves are more or less equally divided by the continents.

As somebody rightfully mentioned, Asia have a lot of bicycles, small motorcycles and small cars. The oil use per capita is low and interest in efficiency larger. When you see a SUV with a single driver/person, you notice it as a very uncommon event and it is probably the US embassy people. LOL

Hakan