Kim

 Greetings

      All the overcrowed  urban  , the place in MEGA  City become
much expensive, ecologically  destructive , the  under developed
suburban areas having less  people.These suburban  place around the
city can be used  make  food, fuel , feed needed  for the urban city.
But the same model for the  urban developments  of destroying the
lands  are also used in  all the places , no employments , no local
work , no  local industry  as importation   is  made easy than local
production
It is true that that any 'new urbanism' is not going to be a
improvement  , but  decentralized  Ruralized  suburban can  really
make  the  urban areas sustainable and a lot of the improvements. For
this we need to have  peoples power in the hands of the  people who
love the place and democracy and  suburban  people to make  the place
more productive , by local production and sharing.The global economy
need  not  be allowed to  kill the local development and local economy
.The  combined fuel and food production done locally and sharing the
products  are still practised in sevral urban areas. The local   small
city  local economy in  Brasil is not yet destroyed by global economy
, thus    saving  and serving the poor  and middle class people  via
week end  free , street open markets in rural ares , still in  urban
areas too. It is very hard to believe how this   can  survive
together with  the globalised super market  closed marketing system
.The end of this ruralized  economy  in urban areas  is the reason for
the  increased violence , terror  and  all need  to pay very hard  to
have the balance.
Thanking  you

Yours
Pannirselvam

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 01:22:29 -0800 (PST), Kirk McLoren
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [...]
> > this all the time.  No
> > one walks anywhere, no bicycles, very few
> > motorcycles.  They drive 25 miles
> > to the city daily for whatever, even if they do not
> > work.  Many who live
> > here drive 150+ miles a day to work and back.
> >
> > Me, I go to town once a week, in my Volks TDI.  I
> > did look at getting a
> > motorcycle, but the animal feed ect. just doesn't
> > fit.  Eventually we hope
> > to lower the amount we are spending off farm, but it
> > takes time and effort
> > to build the place, improve the soil and keep
> > everything done.  Being self
> > sufficient is really hard to set up.  For example,
> > right now I have to buy
> > milk and milk products because my cow is almost 2
> > weeks overdue to have her
> > calf.  I did have some milk in the freezer, but we
> > ran out.  Mother Nature
> > makes this lifestyle an art, not a science.  I have
> > read books like 5 acres
> > and independence, but they obviously did not have a
> > Jersey cow.
> >
> > The biggest problem I have found it that local
> > economy is so
> > expensive.  They expect you to pay dearly for the
> > privilege of buying
> > locally, to the tune of double what I can pay 25
> > miles away.
> >
> > Worse than that, the local produce store carries
> > Californian oranges, not
> > the Texas or Louisiana oranges that I get a Walmart.
> > [I am in east
> > Texas]  We have nothing produced locally that is
> > sold locally.  The high
> > gas prices have had little effect on the lifestyle.
> >
> > Most people who have moved here from the city have
> > no interest in doing for
> > themselves.  Less than 10% of the homes have
> > gardens, and this in a place
> > where gardening year round is easy.  The reality of
> > today makes it hard to
> > believe that any 'new urbanism' is going to be an
> > improvement.
> >
> > Bright Blessings,
> > Kim
> >
> > At 12:51 PM 2/24/2005, you wrote:
> > >I think the reason the film spoke of "new urbanism"
> > as one possible result
> > >(not solution) is that a possible trouble with
> > moving further out is that
> > >unless you can provide all of your own
> > goods/services (which most can
> > >not), the increased distance will require MORE not
> > less transportation
> > >(and hence more energy). High density living
> > facilitates a
> > >reduction/concentration of transportation, and also
> > enables the use of
> > >higher efficiency transportation methods (mass
> > transit for individuals,
> > >trains for goods, etc).
> > >_

> > Biofuel at Journey to Forever:
> >
> > Biofuel archives at Infoarchive.net (searchable):
> > http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/biofuel/

> Biofuel archives at Infoarchive.net (searchable):

 Pagandai V Pannirselvam
Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Norte - UFRN
Departamento de Engenharia Qu’mica - DEQ
Centro de Tecnologia - CT
Programa de P—s Gradua¨‹o em Engenharia Qu’mica - PPGEQ
Grupo de Pesquisa em Engenharia de Custos - GPEC

Av. Senador Salgado Filho, Campus Universit‡rio
CEP 59.072-970 , Natal/RN - Brasil

Residence :
Av  Odilon gome de lima, 2951,
   Q6/Bl.G/Apt 102