From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Paddy O'Reilly
Sent: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 8:02 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] Anyone read about Nanosolar yet?

I had a look at their site but didn't see any power/area references
(didn't look hard enough I suppose). It could be 120W/square foot which
is more feasible ( that would bring the cost to about $17k). That
reminds me of a project I worked on once where the owner claimed a
vehicle could travel at 85mph (probably closer to 85kph) and had a 6
foot turning radius (more like 6 metre radius). God bless
standardisation!!!

As for the Manhattan Project - you'd probably have to look at how the
military can use this technology for destruction instead of saving our
planet and that might indicate why its sponsoring the project. Either
way lets hope the scientists can make it happen.

As for the terminology ("deploying", "utility" blah, blah) this
terminology is being used by marketeers world-wide at the moment -
probably a throw back from Iraq war and marketing gurus wanting to sound

"sexy/chunky".

Stelios Terzakis wrote:

>Fascinating. It's amazing what spins off from military research in
>silicon valley. It has been said that we need a "Manhattan Project" for

>alternative energy; mayabe this is the beginning of it?
>

>Interesting to read about the company on their website and see their
>ties to the nuclear and petroleum industries (Sandia Lab, Shell and
>Arco) and their use of military jargon ("deploying solar electricity
>generation at utility scale"). Their focus is strangely on getting high

>profile investors and making a product that is "profitable" and
>"scalable," whatever that is, rather than altruistically stepping up to

>find a badly needed solution to the huge problem we find ourselves in
>now, namely what to do without petroleum. I am glad they are moving in
>the right direction. This might be another one to watch out for the
>bankruptcy notices.
>
>I forgot to mention that the "Articles" page on the Nanosolar site
>includes a blurb directly tying Nanosolar with the military: "U.S.
>Senator Boxer on DARPA funding Nanosolar: "This grant is exciting
>because it promises new technology to address our energy needs and
>because it again demonstrates the strength of the Bay Area's innovative

>private sector partnered with its world-class universities and research

>facilities."" DARPA stands for "Defense Advanced Research Projects
>Agency," that is, it's the US Military. So this will be yet another
>thing the military can claim it needs increased funding for.
>

>ok,
>

>Mark

The information contained in this e-mail and in any attachments is
confidential and is designated solely for the attention of the intended
recipient(s). If you are not an intended recipient, you must not use,
disclose, copy, distribute or retain this e-mail or any part thereof. If
you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by
return e-mail and delete all copies of this e-mail from your computer
system(s). Please direct any additional queries to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] Thank You.

Biofuel at Journey to Forever: http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel.html