> variables to start with, and it gives you a good idea of what to
> expect as you proceed further.

Yes, The first batch of virgin soybean oil turned out great and washed
good. but it's been downhill since then. The website has alot of good
info but I have to figure out how to use my PH meter.

So it seems.

> What sort of pH meter do you have? By colour-blind you mean you
> can't
> see pink (magenta)? Anyway, I find pH meters by far the most
> reliable
> way, but you need a good one, which needn't be that expensive.

I have a Hanna checker and used it without calibration when I first got
it which probably explains some of my problems.

Probably.

I then calibrated it with
7.01 Buffer fluid and stored it over night with the tip in disstilled
water . The next day I turned it on in the water and after 3 seconds it
read a steady 7.01.  But when I put it in wvo

Why did you put it in wvo?

it seems to slowly drift
down. Sometime as much as 2% in 30 mins. so I'm never sure what the
reading is. I thought the drift might be temperature related but that
doesn't seem to be the case .
       I have learned over the years that I don't see color the same as
normal people so think the meter would make the most sense for me but
this is the first one I have used or seen for that matter and it isn't
what I expected.
       I am assuming if 7 is neutral , the lower the #,  the more lye is
needed. I think I can figure this out before I run out of oil but it may
be close.

Well, keep trying it if you like, but after 15 failures or whatever you've had maybe you should go back to the drawing board?

You have to titrate the oil, it's no use trying to measure its pH.

I already referred you to this:

Here's where to start:

"Where do I start?"
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html#start

Keep going a bit and you'll get to titration, what it is, how to do it, and a lot more besides.

Keith

       Thanks for the help.
       Jerry