I just did a test with some winter diesel and bio diesel blends. I did a 50%, 33%, and a 20% blend. At -20c the 50% got thick but didn't solidify or sepparate, and the other two were ok.

Are these results consistant with what is expected from a good home brew fuel?

Dunno about blends (we never use them), but you could try putting some of your homebrew in a jar in the freezer with a thermometer in the jar, check it every few minutes to see what temp it goes cloudy and gels. There's a test like that here:

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_winter.html
Biodiesel in winter: Journey to Forever

We've used Wintron X30 pour-point depressant, but we only used it once this winter, and that's long gone, none left in the tank now (though we do have more). It's been cold a lot, but we haven't had any problems. The TownAce splutters and hiccups a little on starting, but start it does, first kick, and it quickly settles down. Hm... there's different ideas on the list of what's cold, I know: here it seldom gets worse (lower) than about -12 deg C or so (10.5 deg F), and that's rare. Right now it's -7 deg C, and can drop to -10 or so; more often the nighttime temps are about 0 to -5.

But I've seen messages in autumn from folks in San Francisco panicking when it gets below 40 deg F (4.5 deg C), still well above freezing, and their biodiesel starts to gel, which I don't understand. Ours is good to -5 deg C (23 deg F), and it seems even lower, and it's nothing special, we didn't even get rid of the saturated fats in the WVO for winter fuel, as we probably should have. So I don't know what they're making in San Francisco.

Best wishes

Keith

Brent
Saskatchewan Canada