Many are sheep, the question is who are going be be the ones
that lead them until they can lead themselves.  :))
http://RecoveryByDiscovery.com
---- Tim Ferguson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

=============
Hello Keith,

I hope this finds you and Midori doing well.

<snip>

>>Rely on the government to fix our problems??? No Thank You! The
>>government is again a symptom of the American Mind-set. The U.S.
>>government is so often accused of catering to big business. And
>>rightly so...but that is still just a symptom. Those big
>>corporations don't care about anything but their profits and their
>>profits come from the *ravenous* appetite that *most* Americans
>>have for consumer goods.

>I'd say it's the other way round - that mindset of insatiable
>consumerism is largely or entirely a creation of the corporate sector
>and its immense PR efforts over the last half century and more, and
>especially the last two or three decades.

I have to agree with you regarding the immense PR efforts of the corporations.
The largest portion of my mail and email is junk/spam
resulting from the PR efforts of corporations. Our beautiful nation is littered
with billboards. And radio and television are
consumed with advertisements. Yet I would like to believe that Americans do
have a mind of their own and can choose to act on the
corporate PR or ignore it as I and my family do. It's this will to ignore the
PR which I think can change the demand for the
products/lifestyles that the corporations are pushing. And if people will stop
responding to their PR, it will decrease as a result
of lower profits per advertisement mechanisms. In addition, the weakaning of
the Big corporations by greatly reduced demand will in
turn reduce their influence on the government.IMO.

Even though I believe that the average American has the ability and
responsablity to make or break corporations by applying the laws
of supply and demand we must still hold our government accountable. The effort
to make life better and equatable for all must be
done by all means available.

>Has the American public (not all, as you say, I'm not sure if it's
>even "most") always had this mindset? No.

I can't say with all assurity that "most" Americans have adopted this mindset
but I can certainly speak to this from a sampling of
where I live. 20 years ago I moved onto the family land. It is on a road
approximately 5 miles long. At that time there were 8 farms
houses and farms on the road (mine being one of them). Back then there was very
little traffic on the road and we all had our
pickups and farm tractors to work the farms. All of the houses were of modest
size comparable to mine. Today there are only two
small farms left. Mine and one other. When the older farmers died their
children did'nt want to work the farms. They saw the
opportunity to make a lot of quick money selling the land to developers for
housing and industry. Over the last five years there
have been over 400 houses built on the once beautiful farmland. And these
houses are huge. To give you an example one of the new
neighbors kids is friends with my son. He is an only child. He and his parents
live alone in a 3,200 square foot home with two SUV's
parked in the driveway. And that is typical of all the homes being built in my
area. And this same thing is happening everywhere
around me. So, no I can't say for sure that "most" Americans have this mindset
- but most of those moving in around me sure do.

>Has the corporate sector always had this mindset? -
>>Those big
>>corporations don't care about anything but their profits and their
>>profits come from the *ravenous* appetite that *most* Americans
>>have for consumer goods.

>Yes. Greedy, dissatisfied and discontented, sel-centred and
>dependent, that's how they like us to be. Government? Why would they
>object? It sure suits them too.

>>It is on a base level simply a fact of supply and demand. If the
>>American people will change their
>>*synthetic* appetites to *organic* appetites and learn to live content lives

>How can you be content with that ceaseless barrage of advertising
>being hurled at you? $100 billion a year (and the rest!), and its
>sole purpose is to make you discontented - the be contented you
>"need" something you don't have. It doesn't take too long before it's
>a deeply ingrained habit to think that way.

I think maybe I should explain more of what I mean by I am content. I am
content mentally, physically, and spiritually. My life is
in balance and my needs and the needs of my family are met. I certainly want to
improve my families efforts for reducing our impact
on the environment and increasing our self sufficency. Yet acknowledging that
there is always room for improvement does not make me
discontent. I am however not content many of the external forces such as my
government and the corporate PR, etc.. I believe that
some of the greatest Americans that ever lived were those small family farmers
where several generations of the family lived,
worked, and played together in a self-sustaining manner. I hope that we can get
back to those days as a nation and not as a few
pockets of families scattered throughout the country.

>To change Americans' *synthetic* appetites to *organic* appetites and
>the discontent to content you have to apply measures to neutralise
>and counteract the advertising barrage, and the PR barrage behind it
>- even worse? - certainly more insidious.

>The sense of personal empowerment that comes with making your own
>fuel is one way of doing that, one of many - we've just been
>discussing these matters in another thread. But simply to criticise
>and blame Americans for their appetites is not constructive.

Americans are either Intelligent thinking self-willed individuals or sheep led
by Corporate PR into the destructive consuming
lifestyles. I personally believe the former in which case their actions are
deliberate and open for critisim. And not just.
Education and information exchange is necessary. But they must be willing to
participate. Even though I am not for big corporations
I have a hard time accepting the argument that their PR efforts are to blame
for the American Appetite for excess. If they are, then
we Americans truly are sheep.

Best Wishes
Tim