<I don't believe that with the high compressions <required of a diesel
>engine it is possible to have a
>non-interference design. To get the
 >high compression there is VERY little space at >TDC. I don't think there
is
>any way to design around
>that. If the valves were recessed into the head
>then  there would be more space underneath them.

(Reply)
Hi Eric,
     I used to believe that until VW introduced the new TDI. I always
thought that the working pressure in a diesel engine had to be high to get
performance and mileage then VW introduced the TDI and had to drop the
working pressure in the cylinder to make it work. They still keep the TDI as
an intergrated engine. They also incresed the performance and mileage with
the TDI over the high pressure 97 VW golf that I drive. So is an intergrated
engine for "performance" or is it for "selling parts". It also could be the
case that it has been so easy producing  the "intergrated engine" that
thought to producing a non intergrated engine  is non existant.
The Belarus diesel has a manufactured hole in the piston that is 3.75 cm by
2.75 cm deep and it works fine. Because the intergrated design is so easy
engineers may not have looked at alternatives in septh, such as designing
the valve properly so that space needed for the valve to work is minimal by
shortning up the valve stem, changing the valve cam so the valve opens
faster and stays fully open slighltly longer to ehaust or feed the cylinder.
I am not saying that any of this is possible but the TDI did start the
thought process that it might be possible.

Yours truly
John Wilson
Goldens
Wilsonia Farm Kennel Preserve

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ph-Fax (902)665-2386)

Web: http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/goldens/new.htm
Pups: http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/goldens/pup.htm
Politics: http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/goldens/elect.htm
            http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/goldens/c68.htm

In Nova Scotia smoking permitted in designated areas only until 9:00 PM .
After 9:00 it is okey to kill everyone.