>http://www.motherjones.com/news/dailymojo/2005/03/energy_crunch.html
>
>March 22, 2005
>
>The Energy Crunch To Come
>
>By Michael T. Klare
>
>Data released annually at this time by the major oil companies on
>their prior-year performances rarely generates much interest outside
>the business world. With oil prices at an all-time high and Big Oil
>reporting record profits, however, this year has been exceptional.
>Many media outlets covered the announcement of mammoth profits
>garnered by ExxonMobil, the nation's wealthiest public corporation,
>and other large firms. Exxon's fourth-quarter earnings, at $8.42
>billion, represented the highest quarterly income ever reported by an
>American firm.

Am I missing something?  If prices for a raw input go up then the sale price
also goes up.  However, provided the prices go up at near the same rate of the
inputs then profits should also remain basically stable.  However, the oil
companies are pulling out profits left and right.  Therefore, if they are
profiting then the retial price of fuel is artifically high and not high mearly
because of crude prices.

I know its not this simple and that the theories of supply and demand weigh in,
but why are people (ie. the masses) not questioning what appears to be
collusion?