Hi everyone,

I Chair the New Haven, CT section of the American Society of Mechanical
Engineers and set up a Yahoo! Group to promote discussion on various technical
subjects.

I posted the Rolling Stone article from Kieth (I think it was you Kieth) to see
the reaction and wanted to say that this is the dialog I've been getting
involved in regularly among people less active in the cause.

My reason for posting this is to find out how some of you might respond in a
similar discussion and if you have any comments about any of my responses.

By the way, the resources I mention below were cut-off. But they came from the
Biofuel group anyway. So, you should already be aware of them.

Mike R

Posted on NHASME04 today:
Hi Tracy,

Well, I think we've agreed on most of what had been said in this thread so far.
The rest I think we can agree to disagree.

"We may be running out of oil.  However, I think drilling in Alaska is more
about laziness, politics and some guy who has political connections for it to
get this far."

In my opinion, a lazy person who wants oil would stay in Texas and just punch
another hole next to the one they already have. As for Politics and political
connections, I'm right behind you on that one.

"The reason why we don't have more wind power is political
not technical or environmental or financial."

Political/Technical/Environmental/Financial:

These issues are not mutually exclusive. Some emerging energy technologies are
not competitive (or profitable) compared with fossil fuels today, so private
industry in the US has kept their distance. The public in the US has not
adopted an environmentally conscious position like other industrialized
countries in Europe (the US is only 4% of the worlds population but, uses 25%
of the worlds energy). So, there is comparatively less political motivation to
subsidize the development of these emerging technologies. I feel that this
cycle will continue until other countries that are more progressive than ours,
make advancements that make alternative energy technologies like PV cost
effective and the US, in its nearsighted business vision, decides to play
catch-up.

I have no doubt that if there is no change in this trend, the US will lag
behind in these technologies and other countries will offer superior products.
This is assuming that our government doesn't make a unilateral decision to
exploit foreign intellectual property and ignore international law (wouldn't
that be a shocker).

Mike

"Tracy J." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
We may be running out of oil.  However, I think drilling in Alaska is more
about laziness, politics and some guy who has political connections for it
to get this far.  The reason why we don't have more wind power is political
not technical or environmental or financial.  The political guys put up the
money.  If the political guys didn't want to go to the moon for any reason,
the money never would have been there to do it.  It would be nice if
diagonstic research was done on the subject that is trustworthy but there is
alot of money to be made if there is a shortage.

Tracy