"Kenny Dunn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am sure this will be a highly redundant request to most - sorry.
>
> I hope to soon be a fellow bio-brewer.  I have been doing a lot of research
> and I am now prepared (mentally anyway) to begin refining test batch equipment
> and procedures.  After I get titration and test batch processing conquered, I
> plan to use the Foolproof method and would like to try to develop a hands-off
> system.  The Supreme Commander requires that this be a low budget operation.
> That said, the immediate stumbling block is that of a quality affordable
> scale.  Or maybe it's not.  Any recommendations on scales?

I started with jeweller's scales.  Works OK for small quantities, but finicky.
They were cheap on ebay (under US$5 plus shipping).  I have since acquired a
triple
beam balance scale (Ohaus), also on ebay.  Had to be patient to find a
reasonable
deal on one.  Watched several go by where I was outbid.  Still, for the money,
recommend the Ohaus or similar.  Much wider range of usability, less finicky,
harder to knock over.

> >From much of the information that I've read, acids and bases and catalysts
> >are
> generally a hardware store type item for someone just starting out.  Are there
> other sources of these supplies that might reduce cost, packaging wastes and
> trips to the Mega Hardware Hut and can provide these things on a scale
> appropriate for me?

Hardware stores work for me.  Lye comes in various size containers, up to 2
litres,
as stock items.  Methanol (methyl hydrate) is sold as a paint thinner, again in
various sizes, 4 litres is a commonly stocked item.  What scale do you plan to
operate on?  Methanol can also be acquired in drums - try racing specialty
shops.
Drugstores are good for alcohol.  Pool supply stores are a possibility for
phenolphthalein.  Aquarium supply houses are handy for items like low volume
pumps
and pH testers.  Still, I acquired most of my equipment on ebay.  Patience is
definitely a virtue if you go that route.

> Once you've produced your first *quality* liter of biodiesel, what is your
> test apparatus?  I have contemplated renting a diesel generator for this
> purpose.  Is that a good idea?  Are there other functional tests that can be
> performed prior to subjecting an engine to my fuel?

I just gave my production to a friend who was quite happy to take some free
fuel,
fully aware of its pedigree and the research I had done prior to brewing.  No
issues, but this probably constituted a B10 blend in his tank.  Check the
biofuel
archive for more on testing your fuel.

> A bit of background (just a bit) - I live in Lancaster County, PA and would
> like to tour an individual processor if someone is nearby.  I plan to
> eventually replace my heating oil with B100 and also fuel my car with the
> same.  I will be installing a solar hot water heater for DHW and radiant heat
> later this year if anyone is interested in comparing notes for those sorts of
> things.  I have also contemplated solar hot water as my heat source during
> biofuel processing.  Has anyone successfully done this?

I use solar heating for domestic hot water (batch in-line pre-heater) about six
months of the year (when it doesn't regularly drop below freezing at night).  I
have not used it for heating the oil.

--
Darryl McMahon      http://www.econogics.com/
It's your planet.  If you won't look after it, who will?