Wow, This information sounds SOOOOO drastic. I will imediatly build a time machine and return to a time when there was no offshore drilling in the Gulf of Mexico. The increased harvest of commercial fish that is now happening must be stopped. I will tell the People on their soap boxes that were saying death to the sea if we drill there that the narrow minded people of the future are here to help them stop the drilling. I will also buy a large supply of plugs and go around the world plugging the cracks in the earth that leak the equivalent of TWO Exxon Valdeese tankers of oil into the sea every day. I now see that this is killing the world.
Farmer Paul

A beautifully formulated response teeming with evidence to substantiate the notion that burning oil is a vital requirement for life to continue............................(if we were in the 5th grade).

I really don't think I should spend the 2 minutes it takes to research and acquire facts to refute your ridiculous testimony of, "oil, it does a body good". But I will anyway.
http://www.offshore-environment.com/abandonment.html
http://www.healthygulf.org/fisheries/threats.htm

"In particular, observations in the Gulf of Mexico revealed a strong positive correlation between the amount of oil platforms, growing since the 1950s, and commercial fish catches in the region. It became one of the reasons to suggest the positive impact of offshore oil and gas developments on the fish populations and stock. Wide popularization of this fact led to the mass movement using the slogan "From rigs - to reefs" in the USA in the mid-1980s. However, further analyses of the fishing situation in the Gulf of Mexico showed that the growth of the fish catch in this case was connected not with increasing the total stock and abundance of commercial species but with their redistribution due to the reef effect of the platforms. A critical point here was the use of static gear methods of fishing (e.g., lines and hooks) instead of trawl gears. Besides, the areas around the platforms became very popular places of recreational and sport fishing. This also made a significant contribution to the total catch volumes.........."

"Pursuant to the Sustainable Fisheries Act of 1996, the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS <http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov>) must publish a Report to the United States Congress <http://www.gulfcouncil.org/downloads/Status%20of%20Fisheries%202001a.pdf> on the status of our nation's fisheries resources. This report assesses the condition of the 905 managed fish species in U.S. waters. Of these 905 species, the report finds that 72 are being taken at a rate that this higher than can be sustained ("overfishing"), 92 are below a level that scientists consider healthy ("overfished"), and the status of 709 species (78.3 percent) is unknown. Thus, for the species on which we have scientific information, about 50 percent are either undergoing overfishing, currently overfished, or approaching an overfished condition, meaning that they will become overfished in two years if no action is taken. In the Gulf region, the Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council <http://www.gulfcouncil.org> has 57 species under its direct management. Of these 57 species, over half of the species we have information for (6 out of 10) are considered "overfished". This list includes red snapper <http://www.healthygulf.org/fisheries/red%20snapper%20FS.PDF>, red grouper <http://www.healthygulf.org/fisheries/Red%20Grouper%20FS.PDF>, red drum, Nassau grouper <http://www.healthygulf.org/fisheries/NASSAU%20GROUPER%20FS.pdf>, goliath grouper <http://www.healthygulf.org/fisheries/GOLIATH%20GROUPER%20FS.pdf> and greater amberjack <http://www.healthygulf.org/fisheries/Amberjack%20FS.PDF>. Gag grouper is considered "approaching an overfished condition." Furthermore, four out of eight species in the Gulf region are also subject to "overfishing". These include red <http://www.healthygulf.org/fisheries/red%20snapper%20FS.PDF> snapper <http://www.healthygulf.org/fisheries/red%20snapper.pub>, red grouper <http://www.healthygulf.org/fisheries/Red%20Grouper%20FS.PDF>, gag grouper, and vermilion snapper. The majority of Gulf species (47) are considered of unknown status. NMFS <http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov> also directly manages a number of species in the Gulf region including sharks, tuna, and billfish. Of these species, all of the billfish for which we have information are overfished, including blue marlin, white marlin, and sailfish. Three out of the four tuna species in the Gulf are overfished, including bigeye tuna, albacore and bluefin tuna. Finally, 16 out of the 22 shark species for which information is available are considered overfished. These include sandbar, blacktip, dusky, spinner, silky, bull, Caribbean reef, tiger, lemon, sand tiger, bigeye sand tiger, nurse, scalloped hammerhead, great hammerhead, whale, and white sharks. Thus, of the 29 fish species for which scientific information exists to assess the health of the population, 22 are classified as "overfished."

If you have something worthwhile to report to this list, we are waiting...............