Thanks for this, it helps put the previous discussion in perspective.

About Ruppert, see below for Sheldon Rampton's view, with which I agree (the guy's nuts):
http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/35514/
"The unfortunate thing is that there are people out there who take Ruppert seriously, including progressive activists."

It's a pity they included him.

Best wishes

Keith

I had the opportunity to see this video on Thursday evening. (Part of the program
for how Ottawa should deal with the consequences of Peak Oil.

Clearly a low-budget production, but it covered the topic well. Few surprises for those on this list, I expect. Set the context of the different types of suburbs (first "Victorian" suburbs, radial rail suburbs, early automotive suburbs, post- WWII suburbs). Covers sprawl and related issues. Food miles. Much more on social
aspects.  Then evidence of peak oil.  Interviews with Matthew Simmons, Richard
Heinberg (Powerdown), Michael C. Ruppert (Crossing the Rubicon), Dr. Colin
Campbell, Dr. Kenneth Deffeyes, etc.

Unfortunately, Ruppert was pretty negative on biofuels, focusing on one-to-one
substitution for todays fossil fuel use, and repeating the mantra that it takes
more oil to make ethanol than is imbedded in the ethanol produced.

Still, on the whole, it strikes as a reasonably honest appraisal. Recommended. Commerical screenings are rare, but if you can find an opportunity to see it, try
to do so.

I learned at the presentation that the DVD and VHS is now available via the web if anyone else is interested (US$28.50 or Cdn$36.00). I expect I will be buying a
copy to show to friends and for future reference.

Also at the presentation were a video of Thomas Homer-Dixon on the August 2003
blackout, climate change and nuclear energy/enriched uranium issues.

Highlight of the evening was a live presentation by Paul Sears (one of the local
environmental usual suspects) on some facts and figures on oil and natural gas
reserves. Put ANWR in context very nicely I thought (essentially irrelevant in
terms of oil production on the world scale).

Largely preaching to the converted, but I expect there will be subsequent sessions
to cover some positive measures for the future.

--
Darryl McMahon      http://www.econogics.com/
It's your planet.  If you won't look after it, who will?