I was in Duluth, MN this weekend and decided to experiment.

I have been using E10 for years in all of my gasoline engines, large and small,
without any problems, so Saturday when I saw E85 offered at one location at
$0.55 per gallon less than gasoline I put in 10 gallons on top of the 10
gallons of E10 that I had in the tank.

I drove all around town, on the highway, and up and down the steep hills of
Duluth. No problems. So today when it was time to head home, I filled up with
E85 (22 more gallons).

I drove 105 miles, all at highway speed, without any performance problems. The
"Check Engine" light came on at around 70 miles, but no drivability problems
were detected.

I suspect the "Check Engine" light is indicating a lean mixture due to the
oxygen rich nature of ethanol, and therefore is simply out the calibration
range the computer expects.

I am confident the fuel system is ethanol compatible because Ford has been
authorizing E10 for years. Can anyone suggest a reason not to continue using
E85 in this vehicle?

Thank you.

Michael