My biggest concern about mixing flammable materials in a blender is that in
industry, you would normally see explosion proof motors used in such an
application. If your container seal leaks and a flammable mixture gets inside
the motor enclosure, you might get a small explosion.

My risk assessments are not always on the "safety at whatever cost" side of the
spectrum. So, if I have a concern, I won't mention it unless I think it poses a
relatively high probability of going "poof!".

Mike

Thomas Giguiere <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello Biodeisel mavens! I have started my preliminary experimentation
with the biodeisel manufacturing process. Everything is going alright,
but I have concerns about the safety of methanol.

I bought a 5 gallon drum of methanol for use in my experiments.
Finding that it was difficult to transfer it from the drum to my
measuring cup, I have transfered it to a white, 5-gallon "fuel
transporter" that a lot of dirt biking enthusiasts use to pour fuel
into their bikes. It is easier to pour from this container, but is it
safe to store it in it? Is methanol going to eat through or otherwise
interact with the plastic?

Also, I am mixing up the lye and methanol in a blender. Does this pose
serious saftey hazards.

I do all this at my fathers house (he has more backyard space than
me). I just don't want to blow his propety up. Any info is appreciated

Best Regards,

Thomas