Good article!  Though, I think it still doesn't truly address the issue
entirely.  And I don't begin to believe that American society remotely
understands this issue.  But, the problem begins there.

We have accepted and even encouraged poor fuel economy ourselves.  As far as I
can tell, fuel economy hasn't changed since the 1970's.  Yet, with all the
advancement in other technologies, we don't expect efficiency.  No, we expect
raw horsepower - and gadgets.  We expect safety but, how is it that when
discussing safety, clean air and healthy water don't fit into the equation?  I
owned a 1981 VW Rabbit diesel that I purchase because the engine in my '77 VW
camper blew.  I intended to run biodiesel in it but, never truly made the
effort (I'm guilty).  That 81 Rabbit got an advertised 51 mpg - it actually
got around 54.  Today you can buy a 2005 VW Beetle TDI that gets around 47
mpg.  That's a disgrace!  But, not near so disgraceful as that we as a society
allow it or again even encourage it.  My friends wouldn't have chuckled at me
had my 81 Rabbit have the power that the new TDI does but, that again
describes the problem - this is why the lobbying works.  In a culture that is
so closely tied to the romance of the automobile, and a society that prides
itself on power, in all forms, only necessity will change our driving habits.
 And 40 mpg ain't near enough!  Not for me anyway.

I have to wonder what would happen if we did all drive hybrid-diesels with
regenerative braking and beyond that, curbing our driving habits by reducing
the amount of hours we are on the road.  Imagine an auto industry trying to
stay afloat with a consumer base that purchases a vehicle with a power plant
that will last 300,000 miles while only driving 7,000 miles a year.  The car
would reasonably last for 40 years.  The only way that such a setting would
work would be for the auto industry to reduce the quality of the vehicle.
This I expect to be a reality.  The lobbyist will make it so.  And as a
society, we will accept it.

There is a piece of the puzzle that amazes me when we discuss renewable
resources.  There is always that faction that says that renewables destabilize
the petro industry as a whole (the oil companies, the auto industry, textiles,
transportation, etc).  That it will cost money and people will lose jobs.
However, these same people fail to mention that those folks who are left
without employment, will have opportunities in newly created and much safer
positions - jobs manufacturing, transporting, distributing, installing and
maintaining safe, friend, renewable products and services.  Same goes for
reducing emissions from power plants and factories.  "It will cost too much"
is the common argument.  But where is the money spent to perform the
reductions?  Hopefully, back to the U.S. economy.  But, the American public is
will to believe the arguments and accept it.

It MIGHT be a different story when the American auto industry goes by the way
of the rest of the manufacturing industry.  Still, we will continue to
subsidize oil.  We will prop of the Big 3 with emergency protections when
necessary - "in the interest of the American people".  And we will accept it.

By the people, for the people doesn't mean much anymore does it?

Sorry for the rant!

Do good things,
Ken