<snip>

This is a fascinating idea (tapping into the energy of the ether) that seems to be producing results. The Japanese are reported to be the world leaders in this field. It is easy to see why the interest is so intense there.

It's easy to see why they might be interested in alternative energy sources, since they have to import so much of their energy and have their Kyoto Protocol commitments to meet, but if you lived here you'd hardly know it, except for all the solar.

But saying that of course they'd be interested shores up the preceding claim that the Japanese are world leaders in this research. Westerners seem very ready to believe that the Japanese would be way ahead in this or that advanced field, and the ever-practical Japanese wouldn't bother if it were all nonsense, would they? What's really attractive about it is that it's so difficult to check, it proves nothing if you can't find anything in English. So the idea seems to be regularly coopted by people needing some credence for perhaps dubious claims.

No doubt there are Japanese researchers fiddling with all sorts of exotic things in various physics labs (though their nuclear power industry fails to impress), but we're rather involved in alternative energy issues here in Japan and we've heard nothing of anyone here leading the world by tapping into the energy of the ether, nor of any interest in such a thing. I'm not saying it's not true, but I'd like to see some references, especially urls. They can be in Japanese, that's okay with us.

If you can't find any references maybe you should stop saying this, because there's a good chance it isn't true. Subjects such as these are fraught with hogwash and fraud and hearsay and rumour and conspiracisms, you need to pick your way through it all with great care if you're not going to be gulled.

<snip>

Sorry for talking too much. Best wishes, D. Mindock

That's what it's for. However, please note what it says in the list rules:

"Anything that has to do with energy has relevance for biofuels issues. Similarly, though the focus is on "ready-to-use" technologies, discussion of all alternative energy technologies and topics is welcome. ("Free energy" scams might not be very welcome.)"
http://wwia.org/pipermail/biofuel/Week-of-Mon-20040906/000005.html

Best

Keith

----- Original Message ----- From: "Chuck Elsholz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>