Regarding Tom Reeds woodgas camp stove and its requirement for a primary air source (battery powered), what about a mechanical windup clockwork system to drive the fan. You can visit the web site www.freeplayenergy.com to see what I mean.
Have fun!
Derrick

Greetings Derrick

Thanks for the suggestion. Clockwork radios seem to work well, but for these stoves, clockwork got tossed around a lot in those discussions (along with just about everything else), and each time it got ruled out, I don't recall just why offhand. I have been to that site though, for that purpose.

Ideal would be the heat of the stove itself, and/or convection, something integral to the stove, to power the primary air fan, but, despite some elegant ideas, nothing practical has emerged. I believe one reason for that is that so little is known about how these stoves work - inverted downdraft gasifying charcoal-producing stoves, is what they are, real catchy name, eh? Tom Reed, who surely knows more than anybody about them, once said he thought about 25% of the science of IDD woodstoves is known. Probably as more is learnt the answer to integral powering of the fan will emerge.

This is the one we made:

http://journeytoforever.org/teststove.html

It works well, some quite advanced features, quite widely copied, but it's still not satisfactory. But, use a small powered fan for the air supply and it works excellently.

Thanks again.

Keith

Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Greetings Pan

> Greeting Keith

<snip>

Another missing piece is what Robert was saying about Tom Reed's
woodgas camp stoves - they work very well, but only because there's a
battery to drive a fan for the primary air supply. I've been part of
several intensive discussions with the stoves people on how to
achieve this level of efficiency and control without a power source,
and it's got nowhere, so far. I sort of gave up our work with woodgas
stoves for the time being, hoping to find better answers for cooking
with liquid biofuels rather than biomass. I have found some answers,
much more to be done still.

Not all the work with improved woodstoves is convincing. Often the
target communities also aren't convinced. Some comparisons have found
that the old three-stone woodfire can be as efficient or more
efficient if it's done well. It might be a better idea to find the
best fire builder in the valley and get him to give everyone else
lessons on how to do it properly. There might also be a bigger need
for good chimneys to take the smoke out than for improved woodstoves.
Or ethanol gel, eh? Or a good vegoil stove design that a village
blacksmith can produce.

> Thanking once again on behalf all the developing countries ,
>students and teacher can do better social work with this new
>products and good hope to have the great green future for the
>needful based on the biomass fuel.

Thankyou Pan, but if you thank me I think you have to thank everyone.
Most of what I know about biofuels I've gained by applying what I've
learnt from list members here, for which I'm MOST grateful.

Best regards

Keith

>sd
>Pannirselvam