Thunder Road stock cars not go karts who may use E85.
 ---

 "Most any car on the road today can operate on
 an up to 25-percent ethanol blend, Curley says."

 A fuelish idea
 Ethanol will gas Thunder Road cars
 April 27, 2005
 By Peter Hirschfeld Times Argus Staff
 http://www.timesargus.com Vermont

 BARRE ö A pair of standard bearers in the short track
 racing industry hope an experiment at their Barre race
 track will fuel the use of cleaner-burning gas nationwide
 and reduce U.S. dependency on foreign oil.

 Ken Squier and Tom Curley, co-owners of Thunder Road,
 will use a $4,000 federal Department of Energy grant to
 subsidize the use of an environmentally friendly
 ethanol-blend fuel in at least one racecar this season.
 Curley calls the initiative a grassroots attempt at
 bringing ethanol fuel technology into the mainstream.

 "We're not going to make a big impact running ethanol in
 cars at Thunder Road," Curley says. "But if this catches on,
 which we think it will, and you extrapolate it to
 race tracks across the country and ultimately to
 cars on the road, this could have huge ramifications."

 Ethanol is a corn-based fuel derived from
 starch found in corn kernels. A U.S. Environmental
 Protection Agency study found that ethanol-blended fuels
 reduce carbon monoxide emissions by 25 to 30 percent.
 Ethanol-blend fuels are available at some
 commercial gas pumps in New York and Connecticut.

 Thunder Road will use a 9-to-1 gasoline-to-ethanol blend
 to fuel the "Street Stock" division champion racecar
 driven by Joe Small of Essex Junction. Curley, who
 announced the initiative at a press conference in
 Barre Tuesday, says he hopes to have the division's
 entire 40-car fleet running on the ethanol blend
 by the end of the season.

 "We want to see this move up to other divisions too,"
 Curley says. "We want to make the statement that a
 cleaner-burning fuel will not only help the environment,
 it will also provide the same exciting level of
 competition to our fans."

 The initiative is thought to be the first in the country
 for short track racing venues. Rob Ide, director of
 energy efficiency at the Vermont Department of Public Service,
 says Thunder Road's proven ability to command national attention
 make it an appropriate vehicle for driving ethanol awareness.

 "I know people at Thunder Road can do great promotion,"
 says Ide, who helped secure the grant at Squier's behest.
 Curley was named Promoter of the Year by short-track
 colleagues across the country and Thunder Road is
 regarded by industry stalwarts as one of the
 most popular, best-managed short tracks in the country.

 "We want to see this local story become an international story,"
 Ide says. "When we see film clips of this project in Barre on
 news shows across the country, that's when
 we'll know this is a success."

 Curley says the shift to ethanol makes fiscal sense as well.
 Racers typically use a high-octane fuel that costs about
 $5.50 per gallon; the 90-10 ethanol blend with 93-octane gasoline
 costs about as much as regular gas. Furthermore, Curley says,
 ethanol consumption benefits domestic corn farmers
 rather than Middle Eastern governments.

 Thunder Road will pay the approximately $500 in
 season-long fuel costs for Small, who says he looks forward to
 leading the ethanol movement. The remainder of the federal grant
 money will go to ethanol-related promotional literature and advertising.

 "This shows we're trying to work to address some of these
 environmental concerns," says Small, who won the
 Street Stock division track championship last year.
 "We'll start small and see what happens."

 Indianapolis 500 cars already drive on a 100 percent
 ethanol gas and reach speeds of up to 200 miles per hour.
 Most any car on the road today can operate on
 an up to 25-percent ethanol blend, Curley says.
 He hopes awareness-raising efforts such as
 the one under way at Thunder Road will spark a
 Motor City revolution.

 "If five years from now we can prove this works,
 all of a sudden it turns on another aspect of
 corporate America," Curley says. "When you get
 Detroit thinking about this seriously, that's when
 you have some other technology emerge
 (that can use 100 percent ethanol)."