Hi Ken,

Parts may to very hard to come by for such an older model of a mercedes.

I suggest seeking out and buying a 78-85 123 style car from Mercedes.
(Do a google)

Any old mercedes will probably need some catch repairs, don't get
discouraged.  Press on and spend a modest amount of money on the car.
These old Mercedes cars could easily last 500,000 miles with the proper
maintence.

And think about seeking out a similar car for spare parts!

Buy a mercedes shop book and study it well (to match the car you end up
buying).

Do as much of the repairs yourself as possible.

Feel free to contact me anytime.  I own an 82 300TD (wagon) 5 cylinder
turbo diesel.
It has a great sunroof (yes- it leaks) and drives like a dream.  I just
took a trip from Columbus GA to Pittsboro NC with it!  Ohh, I get about
28 miles to a gallon also.

Regards, Michael