Kieth,

It took me a few days to digest all the stuff in your reply. Simply put,
everything I missed in my original post was elaborated on with a great deal of
logic, reason and facts in your reply.

You're right about a level playing field (thinking about the school kid and
"green" web sites). I also agree with the threat of misinformation. But like
you alluded to in your reply, trust is playing a roll in activists on the web,
and it contributes to the building of alliances and even a communal atmosphere.

...very promising!

Mike

Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi Mike

>Hi everyone,
>
>I've been receiving emails lately that have given me a burst of
>enthusiasm and curiosity about the future.

Good for you!

>Here are some of the things I've been thinking about. I hope you
>don't mind if I use this forum to express myself a little.

Feel free, that's what it's for - yes, it's a biofuels forum, but
what are biofuels about after all? Rather more to it than just saving
a bit of money and how much lye to use.

>Today, the political climate is tense. Many people (many in this
>forum) see something terribly wrong in our society and they are
>responding to it. Picket lines, protests, webblogs and expressions
>of civil disobedience are all around us. It is a climate from which
>the hippie communes emerged in the 1960's as a reaction to greed and
>abuse of political power. I see something similar emerging but, in a
>way that is more difficult to define and I think it is mostly due to
>the Internet.

Yes! Exactly what the 60s freaks (including me) didn't have, and it
could have made all the difference. On the other hand, they did make
a difference.

>In addition to this forum, I belong to other alternative energy,
>environmentalist and political activist groups who use the Internet
>to form alliances and organize in ways to both change society in the
>long term and help allies in the short term.

Yes again. We've discussed this a few times in the past in various
ways, but the more it's discussed the better, it could hardly be more
important, and it's integral to what we're all doing here, whether we
realise it or not.

Internet networking is the great leveller. The anti-corporate
globalisation movement (not "anti-globalisation" as alleged), the
worldwide anti-war protests, global opposition to GMOs, to name the
most obvious ones, would not exist in their present form without the
Internet, working in just the way you describe.

These new (or perhaps retreaded) movements are inclined to lose their
coherence and direction at times, to mill about in confusion, or so
it appears, but that's only to be expected, it's new ground, no road
map. There's a lot of discussion and criticism from within the
movement(s), often negative and not very constructive, but it all
helps, they seem to find their way again with renewed strength and
vigour.

So, for instance, the famous example, five under-resourced people
with PCs working at RAFI (ETC group) took on the mighty Monsanto over
its "traitor" Terminator seed technology, and won! (Though RAFI
rightly warned that the battle was not over.) Not the only example,
there are many others.

The opposition's response is usually various forms of disinfo, like
the infamous Bivings case concerning Monsanto and maize:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Archive/Article/0,4273,4412987,00.html
The fake persuaders
Corporations are inventing people to rubbish their opponents on the internet

There's more about it in the archives. This is just the tip of the
iceberg with this kind of disinfo campaign. It even has a name -
"viral marketing" they call it:

"An article on its [Bivings] website, entitled Viral Marketing: How
to Infect the World [by Andrew Dimock, head of Bivings' online
marketing and promotions division], warns that 'there are some
campaigns where it would be undesirable or even disastrous to let the
audience know that your organisation is directly involved... it
simply is not an intelligent PR move. In cases such as this, it is
important to first "listen" to what is being said online... Once you
are plugged into this world, it is possible to make postings to these
outlets that present your position as an uninvolved third party...
Perhaps the greatest advantage of viral marketing is that your
message is placed into a context where it is more likely to be
considered seriously.'"

Plenty more examples - see, eg:
http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/33126/

It seems they can't afford to be honest about it, and probably don't
even consider it - just spin, slimy tactics, and, interesting, they
get outed. They're not very good at all this.

Have a look at this:

"... Another picture - how is it that most any schoolkid can make a
better and more effective, more influential, website on "green"
issues, say, than a massive auto manufacturer can? ("What?? No Flash
banner page??? Bad design, hmphh - he's got absolutely no excuse for
getting 10 times more hits than we do.") How is it that sinister and
sleazy tactics like those of Monsanto via the Bivings group to
insinuate corporate trolls into Internet discussion groups get
rumbled and backfire on them? Yes, they have a strategy for this, and
huge budgets to back it, they hold business seminars on it, but it
doesn't work..."
-- [Biofuel] Made in China? - Final Thoughts (long), Happy New Year,
Over and Out.
http://wwia.org/pipermail/biofuel/Week-of-Mon-20041227/004301.html

But we go from strength to strength. From another previous message:

>I think military superpowers are obsolete. I think any kind of
>superpower is obsolete except the "other" one:
>
>"There may still be two superpowers on the planet: the United States
>and world public opinion." - The New York Times
>
>http://infoarchive.net/sgroup/BIOFUEL/23479/
>
>http://www.thenation.com/doc.mhtml?i=20030414&s=schell
>The Other Superpower | Jonathan Schell
-- [Biofuel] Financial case lost! was: sometimes anger can motivate
http://wwia.org/pipermail/biofuel/Week-of-Mon-20050207/005759.html

>We've already relied on each other reduce our energy bill, share
>information about appropriate technologies and reduce our dependence
>on those who don't have our best interests in mind. In the future,
>waste vegetable oil and other biofuels, for example, may become a
> common fuel for heating low income homes. The knowledge we share
>has already caused us to actually make some of the things we need
>instead of buying them at places like Walmart. I'm excited about
>those who work at Walmart not being coerced into buying what they
>need, based on where the lowest price and quality prevail and
>perpetuate a cycle of low price/lower pay.
>
>So, where am I going with this? I was just thinking, wouldn't it be
>exciting to have alliances that form within all communities in a way
>that replaces dependence on the Dollar, oil, utilities, etc., with
>knowledge and materials that are traded among you and your peers?

Wouldn't it just. WON'T it just - this is Marshall McLuhan's
60s-vintage "Global Village" concept that became perverted into
corporate globalisation. That's the past, this is the future. Indeed
something to inspire enthusiasm and curiosity.

Regards

Keith