I've been preparing my processing system, done a little in the way of test batches, (1 litre), and lurking on this fine list, absorbing information, and reading a lot on the biodiesel pages.

I guess I've got a decent grip on the process and the chemistry involved, but I've had a question that I've not found the answer to yet. If I'm using 20% by volume of methanol to make my methoxide then run the transesterification, I understand that the methanol becomes part of the molecule chain, with some attaching to the glycerides, and some still floating free in the biodiesel which is washed out toward the end of the process. So if I was to distill the glycerides and soap rinse water, about what percentage of the methanol that I put in is likely to still be recoverable with a distillery? Assume that the recipe is the common NaOH/methanol, without the extra steps consisting of the sulfuric or phosphoric acid treatments...

I'd like to know about how much of my waste material is going to be recoverable, because as nature shows us, the concept of waste is man-made. There is no waste in nature.

Thanks for your input, in advance.

doug swanson

I have just fitted a condenser to my processor. I use the 2 stage base/base process and add 20 litres of methanol to each 80 litre batch of wvo. I add the byproduct removed after the first stage after the second stage is finished and then boil off the methanol. I am recovering about 6 litres of methanol out of each batch.