Hello Pannir,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Pannir P.V" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2005 2:59 AM
Subject: Re: [Biofuel] uses for charcoal -- (was) simple cook stoves

   Thank you very much Balaji
< You are welcome.
   We have  lot of cocunut husk hsk here all wasted .
we suerly need you help for  this project development
Can you  give us some details about the low cost brick or ceramic
gasificatio units for rural areas .

<Coconut husk by itself has very low bulk density and high moisture. To meet
dryness needs of the process (<10%), you need to firstly dry the biomass with
<waste heat from the exhaust of the engine generators/combustor at zero thermal
energy cost. To meet denstiy requirements, you can blend coconut husk with
<other waste biomass such as wood, coconut shell and fronds. We had tried out
equal measures of coconut husk, shell and fronds and this gasified very well.
< Considering your social orientation with emphasis on employment and income
generation in Braziil's rural areas, you can derive coir a  value added product
from <coconut husk. After rettting the biomass in water, the fibres are
separated and twisted into hardy ropes which do not easily biodegrade even in
the presence of <water, owing to high lignin content. Remember the coir ropes
in our village wells, which last ages?
<The  residual powdery coir pith left from coir manufacture is very light
weight and contains a lot of moisture. This will need to be binderless
briquetted after <drying and can also be gasified.

<We use a lot of insulation material both as  themal and chemical barriers (not
exactly ceramics) to protect the steel shell of the reactor core (~1600 deg C )
I <remember IISc had  tried to develop a low cost ceramic model in the early
nineties, but it was not rugged enough for long term operation. In fact, if you
look for <extended and trouble free plant operation and life, low cost is at a
discount. No pun intended  :-)

  What  about any new news from IIsc   gasifaction  adopted to rural areas.

<The first gasifiers installed in Hosahalli and Hanumanthanagara villages in
Karnataka are still functional. a 20 kWe duel fuel system is installed in your
own <Univeristy of Sao Paulo. Another 25 kWe systems is installed in
Butachaques island in Chile and services the need of the remote red Indian
community there.
< Only 44% of rural households in India are electrified. The Ministry of Power
in India has an ambitious scheme of providing power for all the remaining 78
million <rural housholds in over 100, 000 villages in the next 5 years.  We
hope to contribute our mite to this effort. 100% gas engine generators in the
10. 20, 30, 40 kW <range are now under test
<http://powermin.nic.in/whats_new/pdf/Rajiv_gandhi.pdf

Thanking you
yours sincerly

P.V.Pannirselvam