Hi David

I agree with you anyway, but my lamentation over filtering didn't
refer to the need to filter the biodiesel, and the main problem in
this case is that it's not biodiesel anyway, but that's what they're
calling it.

When you first start using biodiesel, even excellent biodiesel, you
have to check the fuel filter often at first because the stuff
loosens up all the gunk previously laid down by the dinodiesel. These
people clearly aren't being told that - but I don't know if this
mixture of coconut oil and petrodiesel ("blend" might be stretching
it a bit) has the same detergent effect or not.

Coco-diesel might indeed work as claimed, if made to standard, I
don't know that either, but it seems clear there aren't any quality
controls at work in this case.

I'm not knocking it - as Terry says, "any petrodiesel replaced is
good petrodiesel!" But I haven't seen any reliable test results. The
whole thing seems to be a sloppy mess that won't do anyone much good
except maybe a few quick-buck artists.

>Keith,
>         You are not the only one. I have just been waiting for this to
>happen and quite frankly I am suprised it has taken as long as this to
>arise. I believe this is always going to be a problem with small scale
>production but at the same time I am most definitely for small scale
>production as I see this area being of most help to the initial producer and
>being able to quickly feed back the benefits to those it can most benfit. I
>do not wish to see the industry concentrated into the hands or as an adjunct
>of the big oil companies whose record over the last 100 years speaks for
>itself showing a history of exploitation, abuse, and denial of the rights of
>the individual and minor countries.  At the same time I believe anyone who
>is manufacturing and onselling for profit should have a moral and legal
>responsibility to produce and provide biodiesel to an acceptable standard.
>This is why I would like to see any manufacturer anywhere bound by minimum
>legal standards which can be upheld and enforced.

That would take time, and wouldn't be easy. I'd like to see an
international association of biodiesel and biofuels producers who
developed and upheld their own standards among themselves, for their
own good and the good of all.

A comparison would be organic growing standards, with lots of local
variations, generally well developed, applied, and upheld over the
years by a wide variety of local bodies to which growers were
affiliated, all under the regulating umbrella of IFOAM, the
International Federation of Organic Agriculture Movements. None of it
was legally binding (until the gummints came along, and messed it all
up many say), but it worked well.

There'd be a case for saying that small-scale local producers might
need less regulating than monstrosities like Big Oil - we all know
what "self-regulation" means to them! When you're part of a local
community you're dealing with people who know you, your reputation
really matters and it can't be rigged via a bit of spin and some loot
slipped to the politicians.

Best

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever