jan, my answer in the text of your em :

Sent: Martes 5 de Junio de 2001 14:32
Subject: key figures for the initial costs and operating costs...

You deliver two plants for 800 liters of BD per day, do you ?

* no, we deliver one plant capable of processing two batches of 400 liters
each per 24 hr. period.
our present delivery time is 120 days.

1) What are the initial costs per plant ?

* u$s 9'100.00 faf buenos aires, plus per diem and travel for instalation
and start-up.

*this is a two vessel plant, semiautomatic, with manifold venting, and
methanol recoup circuit with vacuum pump. all asi 304 ss construction.
testing and calibration equipment provided with plant, as well as start-up
training. all auto systems have redundant hand operated back-up systems.
biodiesel is filtered to 5 microns.

*client provides 3 bar compressed air source, and storage facilities for
oil, methanol, glycerol, and biodiesel.

*we are considering licensing construction abroad.

2) What are the running costs:

*all prices per liter, in u$s dollars, unless indicated :

-refined sunflower oil : 0,315

-industrial grade methanol : 0.49

-naoh : 0.80 / kg.

-30 kWh per 400 liter batch.

-3.0 hours per batch for processing and clean-up.

3. What are the revenue sources and their prices?

*there is no market for biodiesel per se. our clients mix it with
petrodiesel and treat is as an additive. saves hassle with the tax people.

*diesel fuel in argentina/uruguay is 0.52 retail, 0.45 wholesale.

*glycerol can be sold for 0.60-0.80 / kg. pure glycerin sells for 1.80-2.20
/ kg.

>From my rough analysis  (I am doing it for my to-be installation) it goes
that the most important
factor for BD production to be profitable is  ( I want to sell it for
profit) : (oil, etc...)

Any comments ????

*seems to me glycerol would be the most important variable in your
cost/profit equation.

hope this helps. cheers, dick.

"<snipping> is an art. you too can be an artist. just do it !!!"

Biofuels at Journey to Forever
Biofuel at WebConX
http://www.webconx.com/2000/biofuel/biofuel.htm