>On fuel quality we have to be "whiter than white" and be seen to be
>so.
>
>Dave

Hi Dave

Indeed yes. You raised some previous questions about quality.

>High FFA fats can be acid esterified - see Alecs Kak's recipe on
>www.journeytoforever.org. However, I would add that you do need to
>titrate. High levels of FFA need longer in the acid stage so how long
>is enough if you don't know the FFA content.

<snip>

>I'm not convinced the calorific value is as good as plain base
>reacted ester so would appreciate what you find out on that.

Also:

>I have tested some ester made using the acid/base/base process. It
>worked fine and I got less byproduct than when I use the normal
>base/base process. However, on base/base ester, my car's fuel trip
>computer will register about 44 mpg after about 5 miles of 70mph
>driving.
>
>With the acid/base product it would struggle to 40mpg under the same
>conditions. Yesterday I added 4 gals of base/base to the tank which
>already contained about 4 gals of acid/base fuel. Within 5 miles, my
>trip computer was showing 44mpg and rising. This is the second time I
>have had this result, so it's not a oneoff event.
>
>We need to be careful. If we try to sell acid/base fuel as being the
>same as base/base fuel then we have to be sure it really IS the same.
>
>I'm sure my acid reacted fuel lost something - oxygens maybe? Is it
>simply stripping the glycerols from FFA, leaving the FFA to mix in
>with the ester made by the base reaction process? This could explain
>the low calorific value.
>
>Proper research is needed on this question.

I forwarded this to Aleks. Here's his response.

"Biodiesel has a lower calorific value per litre than triglics mixes
(oil/fat). If he does make more mpg on base bio, this means that he
is driving on something else than methyl esters. I presume that this
would be a mix of methyl/mono-/di-/(possible tri-) glcerids. That's
called sloppy biodiesel. True, it packs more carbon into the
cylinders, but it also emits acroleins. I'm (almost) ashamed to say :
I use it (offroad). It
really packs more power because it has a higher density. On the other
hand, I can
see my exhaust fumes and this isn't quite good.

"Re titration - determinig exact reaction time is a pain because ffa
levels vary wildly. I established two categories:
1. up to heavily used liquid fat and medium used solid fat : 1.75 hrs
2. more than medium used solid fat and up : 2.25 hrs
Longer reaction times just cost time and energy. You get a little
better results, but the price is high."

Best

Keith Addison

Biofuels at Journey to Forever