Keith Addison wrote:

> ASomeone's been trying to sell me on an additive
> to reduce NOx. Apparently it does indeed reduce NOx, and
> simultaneously CO, but otoh I think NOx is an overblown problem, I'm
> always a bit suspicious when people chuck the NOx objection at
> biodiesel. Better to debunk the thing rather - "solving" it via an
> additive lends it too much credence: ie, biodiesel ain't no use on
> its own unless you use an additive.

Correct. NOx is not caused by high combustion temperatures, but by
"crevice combustion" - combustion in tight spaces with a high ratio of
cooled perimeter to volume - which entails rapid quenching and
"freezing" of the back-reaction which otherwise converts NOx back to
free nitrogen and oxygen. Southwest Research Institute proved this at
least twenty years ago, in research sponsored by DoE. I read the report
that long ago, and it could have already been some years old at that
time.

What this means is that NOx is a combustion chamber and piston design
problem; SRI showed that relatively minor changes in piston crown design
reduced NOx significantly in their test engines.

Leaving out crevice combustion, diesels should have lower NOx emissions
than spark-ignition engines because their pressure "spike" is not as
pronounced.

Marc de Piolenc

Biofuels at Journey to Forever
Biofuel at WebConX