>GC is a prooven lab method, one can by it from the (lab equipment shop)
>shelf, and it is the method required by the various national quality
>standards for testing many of the quality parameters of BD.
>
>NIR for BD is not developed, not calibrated, not understandable exept for a
>few academic researchers who are able to understand, for example, the subtle
>issues discussed in the papers by Dr. Knothe and others.
>
>Any body is free to invest his time, accept Dr. Knothe's offer and work with
>him on developing that method. Hope somebody is able to do that important
>job.
>
>Stringent quality control is a MUST for BD producers and businesses in
>development!
>TODAY! We simply have no time to go out and still develop new methods.

Help develop. I suspect we (biodiesel businesses, not me) have no
time to do anything else than explore all possible options. The main
work's already been done on this one, not much distance left to
travel, and that with expert assistance, so why knock it?

Yes, you can buy a GC off a shelf, but there are well-known
difficulties with GCs, otherwise why would you be saying this:

>We
>need proper quality controll yesterday.

NIR can help solve many of those problems. As you say, getting it to
the plug-in-and-play state is an important job. So why by so
discouraging, Camillo? It's to address just such problems that I
formed this group - this is the place for it. Just yelling "It
doesn't work!" is not helpful.

>Please understand that if now
>dozends of people go comercial in the states and do not bother on quality
>(maybe because they are used to home brew methods only), we are damned shure
>to have bad press in a matter of weeks, not months. Just see what happens
>now in Germany.
>
>The German drivers assoc., ADAC, issued a press release stating that 25% of
>Germanys 900 BD pumping stations did not adhere to DIN fuel standard. Ouch!
>The article went to press, of course.
>
>We may very well spoil our potential market substantially, if we go into the
>same quality trap.

All the more reason to put some effort into NIR, no?

Regards

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects