http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/059/nation/Kerry_s_idea_on_diesel_fu
el_irks_environmentalists+.shtml
Boston Globe Online / Nation | World /
Kerry's idea on diesel fuel irks environmentalists

By Robert Schlesinger, Globe Staff, 2/28/2002

WASHINGTON - Senator John F. Kerry's effort to require increased fuel
efficiency in cars drew criticism from an unlikely source yesterday -
environmentalists who are usually his staunch allies.

They reacted negatively after Kerry told reporters he would consider
supporting the option of increased use of diesel fuel in automobiles.

Kerry is the lead sponsor of a proposal that would raise the
fuel-efficiency standard to 35 miles per gallon by 2013, up from the
current average of 25 miles per gallon. He estimates such a change
would save 3 million barrels of oil per day by 2020.

In answering a reporter's query, he noted that many European vehicles
use diesel to increase fuel efficiency.

''I would personally be willing to embrace bringing diesel into the
mix,'' Kerry said. ''The gains in terms of fuel are extraordinary.''

The Clinton administration in 1999 issued rules lowering the
allowable amount of diesel emissions from cars; diesel emissions are
carcinogenic.

Word of Kerry's comments spread quickly among environmental activists
in Washington.

''Stunned surprise I guess is the initial reaction,'' said Frank
O'Donnell of the Clean Air Trust. ''There's no person in the
environmental community who would trade higher fuel efficiency for
more cancer-causing diesels.''

Kerry's office moved quickly to control any damage, and he issued a
statement last night clarifying his comments.

''I'm not suggesting any reductions in diesel standard,'' Kerry said.
''I'm reiterating my strong belief that in spite of the industry's
utter refusal to negotiate in good faith, there should be room for
reasonable, rational debate about how to unite senators around a
significant effort in fuel efficiency to help reduce dependence on
foreign oil.''

The statement appeared to mollify some in the environmental community.

''Ruling nothing out isn't the same as ruling something in,'' said
Dan Becker of the Sierra Club. ''I would be very surprised if there
is any effort to weaken the Clean Air Act as part of this energy
bill.''

This story ran on page A7 of the Boston Globe on 2/28/2002.
© Copyright 2002 Globe Newspaper Company.

Buy Stock for $4.
No Minimums.
FREE Money 2002.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BgmYkB/VovDAA/ySSFAA/9bTolB/TM