From: Keith Addison [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 12:12 PM
To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
Cc: biofuels-biz@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [biofuels-biz] Detroit: A Drive Toward Fuel Efficiency?

http://www.tompaine.com/feature.cfm/ID/5292
TOMPAINE.com -
Detroit: A Drive Toward Fuel Efficiency?
Some Auto-Makers Push Forward Without The Governments Help

Julie Halpert reports for the Great Lakes Radio Consortium.

It's a clear battle between emerging technologies: what's available
now: hybrid engines, versus fuel cells, which aren't due for at least
10 years. Hybrids use current technology, a gasoline engine, and add
an electric engine for additional boost. A hybrid car typically gets
double the mileage of a non-hybrid.

Toyota and Honda have both opted for the quicker path. They've been
offering hybrid cars now for the past few years. Toyota's Prius is a
sedan. Honda chose a sporty, two-seater, the Insight. But whether
sporty or practical, Honda's Andy Boyd says consumers embraced the
new engine.

"We had a great reaction to Insight -- people really excited by the
technology, very accepting of it. It's very transparent technology,
easy to use and we think it's ready for prime time."

Prime time for Honda means putting the hybrid engine on a more
practical vehicle, which they're doing. The Honda Civic is a company
best seller. The hybrid Civic goes on sale in April. Priced around
$20,000 the Civic will get 50 miles per gallon. And Boyd thinks it
will result in even broader acceptance of hybrid technology.

A domestic automaker is also jumping on the hybrid bandwagon, hoping
to broaden the hybrid's appeal. Ford Motor Company will launch the
hybrid Escape sport utility vehicle later next year. Ford's Jon
Harmon says that's an even better vehicle choice than the Japanese
offerings.

"Most of those vehicles have limitations because they're such small
vehicles and we think that by giving a vehicle with more
functionality that customers are looking for, like the Escape HEV,
that we're really going to open up that market."

The hybrid Escape will get 40 miles to the gallon in the city, twice
the mileage of its gasoline engine counterpart.

But while hybrids make big dents in reducing pollution, they're not
considered the final answer to the environmental problem. The more
promising contender is fuel cells.

"In a minute we'll introduce a revolutionary concept, so
revolutionary that we believe it's no stretch to say it could
literally reinvent the automobile."

General Motors President and CEO Rick Wagoner unveiled his company's
first fuel cell car prototype, the Autonomy, at the North American
International Auto Show earlier this year. Fuel cells run on a
mixture of hydrogen and oxygen. They emit only water vapor and heat,
so they're essentially pollution free. They're also extremely
fuel-efficient. But even the GM fuel cell car won't be available for
at least 10 years. That's because the technology still faces many
financial and engineering hurdles.

Even so, GM spokesman Bill Nowak says that investing in fuel cell
technology is smarter than putting money in less effective,
short-term hybrids.

"It has a fair amount of potential to improve your efficiency but
you're adding another power plant. In other words, a hybrid combines
an internal combustion engine with an electric motor so there's some
cost factors involved in that. That's why we think the best
technology by far is the pure fuel cell."

Still, many experts and other automakers don't expect to see fuel
cells on the road very soon. David Hermantz is with Toyota's
Technical Center. He says it could take 20 or 30 years. And he's
concerned that by pushing for fuel cells, GM's trying to postpone any
near-term actions to reduce auto pollution.

"GM's interim image appears to be that 'leave us alone for now and
we'll get to fuel cells in the future' and we think we need some kind
of progressive path to get to the future."

That path for Toyota is a commitment to offer 300,000 hybrid vehicles
a year worldwide beginning 2005. Honda also will continue promoting
hybrids. Again, Honda's Andy Boyd.

"In the long-term, fuel cells are probably going to be the answer,
but again, if we're looking out about 30 to 40 years, do we want to
wait that long to try and do something about fuel efficiency and
reducing emissions?

Reducing fuel consumption is the greatest thing we can do to cut emissions."

Still, the federal government currently prefers the long-term option.
The Energy Department recently scrapped an existing hybrid research
program and instead decided to fund an effort to develop a fuel cell
powered vehicle.

That concerns Mike Flynn. Flynn runs the University of Michigan's
office for the study of automotive transportation. He says the
government's decision, which comes amidst a slump in the auto
industry, will take pressure off automakers to pursue hybrids.

"They have tremendous demand on their resources right now, so why
would I do other than what the government is telling me I should be
doing, which is this longer term bet on fuel cells which I may be
able to defer a little bit in the first few years and use my
resources elsewhere."

Flynn's also worried about focusing only on fuel cells. He says that
if another technology wins out, the domestic auto industry could be
left behind.

But GM's Bill Nowak says that's unlikely. And he's convinced that
ultimately, the company's bet on fuel cells will pay off.

Published: Mar 21 2002

Biofuels at Journey to Forever
Biofuel at WebConX
http://www.webconx.com/2000/biofuel/biofuel.htm