>Hi,
>I'm new to the list and curious about alternative fuels. Looks like
>a lot of interest in here!
>
>I don't use my vehicles much, but when I do I tend to use them for
>long expedition type work. In some countries you don't have a choice
>who you buy fuel from, or the quality. In North America and Europe
>however, we do.
>
>I'm wondering who to buy my fuel from in these counties. My research
>makes all the big companies look pretty bad, with Exxon Mobil
>looking worst. Shell and BP look like they have some good programmes
>but have still made mistakes and have policies which could use
>changing. I don't know what there policies are on bio-fuels, though
>I do know Shell seem to be on the lookout for alternative energy
>companies.
>
>In your opinion, if I have to buy gas in the US/Europe, which is the
>company I should give my money to?
>
>Cheers,
>Nick.

Hello Nick, welcome

Shell just bought a slice of Iogen, they're into biomass projects and
so on, but it's a tiny fraction of their real business, which is
fossil-fuel, and that's unlike to change, or even decrease, any time
soon. Both Shell and BP are pretty good at winning Greenwash awards.

http://journeytoforever.org/fyi_previous.html#3012

http://journeytoforever.org/fyi_previous.html#2211

I doubt they're any better than the others. Note this bit: "The real
level of BP's interest in renewable energy was demonstrated recently
when the company took legal action in the European Court of Justice
against France's tax exemptions for its burgeoning biofuels industry
producing bioethanol and biodiesel, both of which come from plant
sources, are carbon neutral, and much cleaner-burning than their
fossil-fuel equivalents. BP claimed the tax breaks risked distorting
its own markets for fossil fuel-derived synthetic ethanol -- mainly
methyl tertiary butyl ether (MTBE), which is used to increase the
octane content of lead-free gasoline." Etc. There's a lot of dirt
around about Totalfina too. A "good" oil company? I scanned a few
chapters of Anthony Sampson's excellent book The Seven Sisters (out
of print) and posted them to the Biofuel list a few weeks ago, raised
a lot of interest - you can find them here at Steve Spence's site, if
you're interested:
http://www.webconx.dns2go.com/7sisters/

I don't know of any good answer to your question, sorry.

Best

Buy Stock for $4
and no minimums.
FREE Money 2002.