Keith, Tom, et. al.,

The following Federal Register notice has some
relevant information.  Keith, this may be the notice
you were referring to.  I gleaned the following
points:

1.  Biodiesel (neat and blends) is considered a
non-baseline diesel fuel.
2.  There is no language that bars small-business
biodiesel producers from the Tier 1 and Tier 2 testing
exemptions.
3.  All categories of biodiesel are considered similar
for testing purposes (at this time).

Now, this afternoon I got a message from Joe Sopata at
EPA (lots of phone tag) in which he stated that any
blend <= 6% biodiesel was considered a nonbaseline
fuel, and anything over 6% was considered atypical,
and therefore not subject to the Tier 1 exemption.
The thing is, I can't find that definition in any EPA
documents.  What I find is what I have quoted below.
EPA tests biodiesel at 100% as the representative
group, and assumes that most applications will be a
20/80 blend.  I don't know where this <6% rule comes
from, but it may be a purely discretionary
interpretation, and not a written rule issued as a
regulation.

So, Tom, I don't know how EPA could be threatening to
shut you down on this basis.

I'll keep checking.

Thor

The reference:
[Federal Register: March 17, 1997 (Volume 62, Number
51)]
[Rules and Regulations]
[Page 12564-12572]
From the Federal Register Online via GPO Access
[wais.access.gpo.gov]
[DOCID:fr17mr97-18]

[selected snips]

"Biodiesel fuels and most blends of bio-and
conventional diesel fuel contain more than 1.0 weight
percent oxygen and thus, according to Sec.
79.56(e)(3)(ii)(B), fall into the non-baseline diesel
category.
Under Sec. 79.56(e)(4)(ii)(B)(2), as adopted in May
1994, biodiesel fuels derived from vegetable oil
(``mixed alkyl esters of plant origin'') are grouped
separately from biodiesel fuels derived from animal
fat (``mixed alkyl esters of animal origin'')."

"In regard to selecting the biodiesel group
representative, EPA has decided that 100 percent
biofuel is most appropriate for the screening purposes
of Tiers 1 and 2. EPA has received industry
assurances, both in written comments (docket item
VII-D-19) and in follow-up communications,\5\ that the
use of 100 percent biofuel does not require
significant engine modifications. Furthermore, while
20 percent biodiesel formulations are expected to
predominate in the commercial marketplace during the
short term, both lower and higher percent blends may
see greater market penetration in the future."

"While the available data are not comprehensive, EPA
agrees with industry commenters that plant- and
animal-derived biodiesel fuels appear to have
generally similar chemical composition.  [Accordingly]
the Agency is today revising the grouping rule for
biodiesel F/FAs to permit plant and animal biodiesel
F/FAs to group together and be represented by one
group representative for compliance with Tier 1 and
Tier 2 testing requirements."

"EPA has carefully considered the commenters'
arguments in relation to other provisions of the F/FA
registration and testing program. The program is
structured around the concept that business entities
which profit from the sale of a F/FA product should
generally share responsibility for its potential
effects on the public health and welfare. Such
businesses have thus been required to share in the
burdens associated with determining these potential
effects. However, this general principle is tempered
by various provisions which recognize that other
factors, such as characteristics of the F/FA
marketplace and distribution system, must also be
taken into account when assigning the regulatory
burdens."

"The special provisions for small businesses
(Sec. 79.58(d)) also grant exemptions based upon
financial and marketplace factors. Moreover,
provisions finalized in today's action permit this
exemption to ``pass through'' to customers of small
businesses, regardless of the size of the customers,
to prevent disruption of marketplace relationships
(see section IV.B, below)."

http://archive.nnytech.net/index.php?view=887&list=BIOFUELS-BIZ

> - from Shaine Tyson at NREL, via Tom Leue, it seems
> biodiesel doesn't
> qualify for expemtions under baseline or
> non-baseline because it's
> not a petroleum fuel. Others also reached this
> conclusion.
>
> So where did this spring from?
>
> >AN EXCEPTION IS BIODIESEL, WHICH IS ONE
> >GROUP, EVEN THOUGH IT CONSISTS OF MIXED ALKYL
> ESTERS
> >OF PLANT AND/OR ANIMAL ORIGIN."  (My
> capitalization)`
>
> I saw it at the url you gave.