Paddy,

A bit curious as to why you would perceive there to be no
interest in pursuing biofuels discussion. That is, after all,
what this list is dedicated towards.

As you know, your understanding is correct. Most if not all
vegetable oils have some palmitic and stearic fatty acid content.
(I'm not yet aware of any that do not.)

No doubt you are equally as aware that tests are often conducted
with "synthesized" reactants. While the final biodiesel product
in the real world will be derived from oils and fats that are
composites of multiple fatty acids, lab tests are also done using
isolated fatty acids mixed in specific ratios to mimic their
natural counterparts.

While we haven't mapped a series of fatty acid
transesterifications that covers the entire spectrum of widely
available fats and oils, we are aware that the results relative
to the "emulsion layer" are duplicit for several of the
synthesized blends that were lacking in palmitic and stearic
acid.

The same method of synthesizing will also be used when we go up
on new esterification experiments using variant temperatures and
pressures. They will then be held up to SVOs and WVOs for general
comparison.

Todd Swearingen