----- Original Message -----
From: Michael Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> Paul & Keith,
>
> Thank you for your response.
>
> > >Paul:
> > >
> > >I tried slaked lime on some of our high FFA crude palm oil and had
similar results to Keith.
>>>Leaving it overnight to settle gave me only about 15% recovery of the
oil.
> > >Part of the problem is the very high viscosity of our CPO which is
rather like mayonnaise even at 30 degC.
> > >Things just don't settle in this goo unless you heat the brew.
> >
> > If you heat it does it settle?
>
> We did. To 80C. But separation was not good:  Bottom layer soap, middle
layer unreacted lime, thin top
> layer oil. Avoiding excess Ca(OH)2 would certainly help.
>
> > >Terry's suggestion of quicklime has some merit because it takes the
water out of the gloop as it
> > esterifies the FFA but it still has such a low density that it doesn't
settle for us. We probably need barium
> > oxide or maybe something made from spent nuclear fuel rods!
<snip>

Michael,
 Revisited the neutralisation with slaked lime. Had a batch of BD which had
turned to soap (too much NaOH). Treated it with acetic acid to liquify.
Ended up with BD +FFA.  Have had this batch sitting on garden lime for a
couple of months now. Titrated it and acidity had not changed.Heated the mix
with plenty of stirring, held at 100 deg C for over one hour. Next day
titration was the same as before treatment. Decanted and retreated with
reagent grade Ca(OH)2
Success this time titration dropped from 56 drops to three drops 1% NaOH.
Into the tank it goes. Dug out the bag of garden lime and discovered the
problem. Contents is 80% calcium carbonate, not a scerick of Ca(OH)2 to be
seen in the bloody thing. So much for garden "lime".
CPO certainly sounds like a challenge to work with.

<snip>
> > >Terry's suggestion of quicklime has some merit because it takes the
water out of the gloop as it
> > esterifies the FFA but it still has such a low density that it doesn't
settle for us. We probably need barium
> > oxide or maybe something made from spent nuclear fuel rods!
<snip>

Under impression that esterification by alkalis was way too slow to be
practical. Have you had any success with this on other oils?
Will repeat test on neutralising high FFA WVO with Ca(OH)2 just to confirm
previous results.

Hey wait a minute, Michael and Keith, both you blokes are in the northern
hemisphere. This technique probably only works upside down.

Regards,  Paul Gobert.

Plan to Sell a Home?
http://us.click.yahoo.com/J2SnNA/y.lEAA/ySSFAA/9bTolB/TM