Where can we find the actual subsidies for american biodiesel production? A
significant cash credit is available to US producers from the USDA if they
are registered with the EPA.  This is assuming that the EPA will allow you to
register as a commercial producer. I tried to do this last October, 2001 and
the EPA got back to me in February 2002 saying that not only would they not
let me register as a commercial biodiesel producer, but that the fine for
being in production without registering is up to $25,000 per day and that I
should never have started to produce biodiesel in the first place and the
fine could be retroactive to the day that I filed for registration.

Nevertheless, there are USDA subsidies for the commercial production of
biodiesel. Just a few weeks ago, World Energy Corp., the largest producer of
biodiesel in  this country, asked for help from this website and from many
others in asking for petitions to the government, USDA, to stop a republican
effort to reduce existing subsidies to the producers of biodiesel. This
subsidy is called a producer price support, among other names, and must be
very substantial. World Energy Corp. reported that the realignment of
subsidies would cause their company to have to raise prices by about 90¢ per
gallon. That means that retail biodiesel would increase by more than $1 per
gallon.

I believe there are two types of subsidies. First is a large payment, over $1
per gallon, as a one time payment for bringing on new production facilities
to make biodiesel. That is measured on an annual basis. For example, if you
start a new processing line of, say, 100,000 gallons per year, the check from
the government would be in excess of $100,000. The second type of subsidy, at
much less than $1 per gallon, is a subsidy for each gallon of biodiesel
produced. I'm told that the subsidy for the production of biodiesel from
virgin soybean oil is far larger than the subsidy for biodiesel made from
recycled yellow grease, or any other source.  What kind of sense does that
make? Just shows you who has the biggest lobby in the area, ADM. Perhaps some
of the realignment of subsidies recently decided upon by the republicans was
to readjust the money for all biodiesel sources being more in align with each
other. Maybe not.

So, where is this subsidy information available? Its public policy, afterall,
and must be accessible. Anyone know?

Tom Leue
Yellow Biodiesel
www.yellowbiodiesel.com