Keith, Graham, and everyone,

Some ideas as a follow-up.  If NBB and others are
concerned that consumers will be put off by poor
quality biodiesel and/or the improper use/preparation
for use of good quality biodiesel, then perhaps
someone should put together a buying guide.  A while
back someone, Tom Leue I believe, talked about
publishing a comprehensive how-to guide for practicing
and would-be homebrewers.  [As an aside, does that
term “homebrew” have a clear definition?]  But a guide
for people looking to use biodiesel may prove more
helpful in terms of reducing the uncertainty
associated with trying a new fuel.  After all,
dedicated homebrewers will likely persevere, whereas
tentative first-time consumers may be easily put off.

Such a guide should cover basic facts (environmental,
chemical, feedstocks, etc.) about biodiesel, how to
prepare your vehicle for biodiesel use, and how to
transition to that use.  As Steve Spence pointed out,
the solvent properties of biodiesel can release
petro-diesel accumulations and clog fuel filters, etc.
 This should all be explained and made accessible to
the first-time buyer.  It should also cover how to
“buy” fuel—who makes and/or distributes it locally,
what to look for, what questions to ask, what to
avoid, and so on.  This would require agreement on
some standards.  At present, could a consumer ask a
small producer, “How do you test your fuel?” and
receive a universally acceptable answer?  What would
it be?  ASTM standards?  Gas chromatography?  Finally,
such a guide ideally should address issues of
liability and warranty.

I know that most (all?) of this information is out
there, certainly on Keith’s site and elsewhere.  But
it needs to be put in a comprehensive, easy to use
format, and distributed.  The point is, you want to
reach people who aren’t out looking for alternative
fuels.  Perhaps some of you have read “The Tipping
Point” by Malcolm Gladwell.  He talks about idea
“epidemics” and how new ideas catch on and become
widespread, or don’t.  Right now, biodiesel is popular
only with “innovators”—those who are willing to take a
risk and adopt a technology because they believe that
it is the best thing to do.  We need to move beyond
that to those who are more risk averse and less
interested in the “right” thing and more interested in
adopting a promising technology, the so-called “early
movers.”  Once these groups buy into biodiesel, then
the mainstream follows.

The big-picture questions such as whether there are
sufficient feed-stocks to replace a significant
portion of the diesel market are really less important
at this point.  The market will sort things out; the
point is to push the expansion of biodiesel as far as
it can go.  Nobody knows where that frontier is and we
never will except by pushing forward.

A major problem, as I see it, is that no one,
including the NBB, is conducting a major promotional
campaign for biodiesel.  We all know that there are a
variety of “angles” through which you could make
biodiesel appealing:  energy security, enhanced farm
revenues, pollution reduction, cost savings (rather
than using natural gas in school bus fleet
conversions, for example), municipal waste reduction,
strengthening local economies, etc. etc.  But the
information needs to be packaged, targeted, presented
and disseminated effectively.

Homebrewers can decry the evils of “Big Soy,” and the
NBB lament the perils of homebrew till the cows come
home, each side safe in its parochial domain, but it
ain’t gonna change nuthin’.  If the two sides cannot
find a way to cooperate, the cause of biodiesel
suffers.  The ball is in both courts.  NBB needs to
clean up its act, for all the reasons mentioned in
this forum.  And homebrewers/small producers, IMO need
to organize to present a coherent voice.  It’s
unrealistic to expect the NBB to treat with hundreds
of independent producers individually.

Some further actions to consider:
1)  The above mentioned “guide to purchasing
biodiesel.”

2)  Again, develop some universally agreed-upon
standards, including testing procedures.  I may draw
flak for saying so (…pause…while I don my flak
jacket…), but I didn’t find the “Why Standards are
Important” article so unreasonable.  Korbitz is
entirely correct, is he not, in asserting that engine
manufacturers are going to demand some sort of
fuel-quality standard.  And I think it’s reasonable to
be wary of a producer who can’t describe or
characterize his/her product.  The rub lies in how one
defines “describe” and “characterize.”  For example,
if producer couldn’t tell me what kind of feedstock he
was using, that would raise a flag.  What we have to
do is to make achieving that standard possible for
producers of all sizes.  Keith, the link you provided
to the Leonardo Test Kit was a great example of
accessible testing.

Remember, too, that a standard can include lots of
other things besides just fuel quality.  You can do an
LCA (life cycle assessment) for biodiesel production,
which could, for example, measure embodied energy.
Such an assessment would favor WVO stock and local
production.

By the way, it’s interesting that NBB-titled article
“Perils of the Homebrew” is really addressing
potentially faulty production procedures, and not a
general indictment of homemade biodiesel.  It's almost
a primer FOR the homebrewer.  I find it telling that
the NBB read it through their particular lens as
describing inherent (irremediable?) flaws in homebrew.
 Or, more cynically, perhaps they just saw some stray
“ammo” to load into their anti-small producer cannon.
Either way, it’s shameful and, when you read
carefully, fairly transparent propaganda.  They really
should remove that title.  If I were Legge I’d be
pretty ticked off.

3)  Some sort of certification program?  This has
worked in organic agriculture pretty well (and yes I
realize that it’s in danger of being co-opted by
agribusiness via USDA so let’s not go there).  But
branding and labeling is a key to consumer assurance
and acceptance, especially where there are many
producers.  Of course, there are a lot of obstacles to
address and pitfalls to avoid, not the least of which
is that the process be taken over by NBB.  But at some
point, as I wrote earlier, small producers are going
to have to band together to make their voice(s) heard;
a national cooperative or something similar.  Sure,
there are independent go it alone types who won’t want
to participate, who won’t want to pay for the
certification, and so on.  But no matter.  I have
talked to organic farmers who are not certified
because of the costs and paperwork.  They sell
locally, and as one woman put it, “My customers know
me and know my food.  They can come on the farm and
see how I do things.  They don’t need the official
seal of approval.”  Same goes for homebrewers who
produce for a very local market.  No certification
mark is going to replace personal experience with the
product and the producer.  But when you move beyond
the confines of your neighborhood and immediate
community, commerce takes on a more complicated set of
rules.

best to all,

thor

[Keith's post follows]