Dear MM,

I think that you are right in that future innovative methods
and solution must be pursued. It is however a little bit
scaring if you look at it. What we mostly discuss for
used are Biofuel, Windmills, Passive solar etc., all are
"new technologies" that goes more than 100 years back.
Other "new technologies" like fuel cells etc. goes 50 to
80 years back.

Then we find that corporate and political interests actually
turned us away from going on more sustainable and cleaner
routes 60 to 100 years ago. I sincerely hope that we can
correct all this stupidity and go forward with better ways of
doing things. I have my doubts, if I look at the present
leaders.

Hakan

At 03:27 PM 12/11/2002 -0800, you wrote:
>Ad hoc comment:
>
>One of the issues that tugs at me when I have seen recent "debate" (or
>quasi-science or shouting) over whether some of the biofuels are
>"sustainable" is that the fuel itself, if it is a relatively simple
>standardizeable not-horrifically-toxic chemical, is a somewhat
>*separate issue* from how it is derived.
>
>So, a debate over the sustainability of ethyl alcohol as a "fuel of
>the future", whether it took place in the 30s or today, should include
>the concept that while it may well be presently sourced from much
>agriculture or semi-agriculture, I'd think we could somehow
>*manufacture* such a fuel, going forward, by new innovative methods as
>well.  What is to prevent us, with all the scientists we have sitting
>around, from taking some solar-derived electricity and trying to make
>such relatively simple chemical compounds as ethyl alcohol from widely
>available chemicals such as water and CO2 and O2 and what-have-you.
>
>MM

Biofuels at Journey to Forever
Biofuel at WebConX
http://webconx.green-trust.org/2000/biofuel/biofuel.htm