>>I've heard it said that part of what makes U.S. paper currency unique
>>is that hemp is used in the paper, but I'm not sure if this is true.
>>Maybe the whole matter, the whole giant friggin hypocrisy of it all,
>>makes me so upset that I decided to focus on less upsetting things
>>like the needless throwing away of American Economy and Policy
>>Independence to those who have zero interest in a sustainable future
>>for any decent values, economies, societies, or whatever, particular
>>to those whose focus is to prevent progress in energy technologies.
>
>I can understand that. All those people in jail for no good reason,
>being brutalized and criminalized, it's outrageous. It's also
>completely out of step - the other industrialized countries are
>moving in exactly the opposite direction. The industrial hemp
>prohibition is also out of step, and will see the US being left
>behind. Insane, really.

One of the things I did with the energy issues is, corrolary to my
treatment of it, examine how we criticize our Presidents, leaders,
politicians, policy-makers.  I explained that I thought there were
better things to criticize about President Clinton than his sex life
and alleged "criminal behaviour", and that I thought it was a tragic
(and indeed destructive) waste of the country's time to spend our
valuable time during his administration playing "get the President".
I explained that if there were really folks who wanted to criticize
his policies and ideas and whatever, that there were many other areas
that much more cogent and effective criticism could be brought to
bear, such as his National Energy Policies, or lack thereof.

This was a compilation of some of my stuff, which had been written out
a few times in months prior to March 2000:

http://www.herecomesmongo.com/ae/03092000.html

I failed to make sufficiently clear a few other related points.  I
think we all have a responsibility to offer cogent and intelligent
criticism of our leaders if we are to offer criticism at all.  Our
leaders (who are also, in effect, our hired employees, where they are
sort of CEOs and corporate officers and we are their board and their
shareholders and customers) suffer when we fail to offer them the best
possible criticisms of the jobs they are doing, because they can
really improve their performance if the get top-notch criticism that
really gets to the point and hits home.  It's hard to improve yourself
when the criticisms that you're getting are ankle-biting nonsense
unworthy of consideration or time.

It's easy to criticize the boss or the CEO when you're a peon, but how
do you bring *valuable* criticism to everone's time?

Effective and good criticism is not only well-intended and
high-reaching, but I think it should incorporate some policy of
actively trying to decide for oneself and define "What is a good job"
rather than waiting, reacting to individuals' actions and then
criticizing those actions.  It is asking yourself:

"Ok, smartypants, you think you're so smart, what would *you* do if
you were thus-and-such office-holder?"

It is, in the case of criticism of Presidents, understanding that a
primary potentiality and power of the office is in simply having the
Podium for four whole years, having the opportunity to exercise one's
place at the "Bullypulpit" to bring attention to whatever issues one
and one's team think are in need of attention.  Failure to bring
attention to other issues becomes, at that point, a sort of choice.

If a critic defines an issue as important, and if a President fails to
*discuss* an issue in four years of Office, then a very effective
criticism can be brought to bear at that point, on the issue of
failure to do or say a needed thing, rather than commission of some
allegedly bad or illegal of half-baked act.

An example of such a criticism of a failure-to-discuss, not a great
example, but an example, would be that in the Debates of 92 or so,
between nominee Clinton and President Bush Sr., (Perot may have been
on stage also), President Bush Sr. said something about the Aids
crisis, and it was a nice little statement that I think expressed
desire to do something about a terrible problem, although it was in
the context of running for office and not of exercising the
already-gained powers, and President Clinton responded something like:

"That's a very nice sentiment, but it's too bad that in four years of
office that's the most you've ever said on the issue and pretty much
the first time you've ever bothered to voice such ideas".

How right he was, and that President had previously served eight years
in another administration which was also woefully silent compared to
what it should have voiced.  It was one of the few times in my life I
somewhat felt like standing up and cheering in listening to public
discourse.

Mr. Clinton did go on to try to bring more attention to the AIDS
crisis as President, I guess.  He did not unfortunately go on to do
say  or do enough to discuss a wide variety of problems, though.  He
said very little to call for discussing issues where he was personally
week or vulnerable to ad homenim argumentation, and we all suffered
both for his failures and the policies of his enemies who were all too
anxious to waste the nation's future with their ad homenim attacks.

He was vulnerable and under personal attack in areas of sexual
harrassment and sexual behaviour, and he probably did not do enough to
discuss and combat the AIDS crisis and other sexual-behaviour-related
policy areas.  He was personally vulnerable and under attack on Drug
Related issues (obviously he had at one point smoked pot: big deal),
and perhaps because he was simply not a good enough President to call
attention to the issue, we did not do enough during his Presidency to
discuss the wisdom of the Drug Wars.  And, for whatever reason, we did
not do enough to discuss Energy Policy Issues, Waste-disposal issues,
etc.

To bring this philosophy of criticism to the present issue, Drug
Policy and such, I think that both President Clinton and President
Bush, and their teams, have failed to do a good job of addressing the
Drug War Issue.   In the case of the current President, they have
pathetically, quietly, weakly, offered up the hope that they will
focus less attention on the Drug war because limited resources are
more needed for the War on Terrorism.  Likewise, for 10 or 15 years,
some Conservatives have offered the idea that since the economy is
arguably hurt by the whole matter, they might be willing to reconsider
it.

They *never* offer up the idea that the entire mess, every last little
single shred of it, might be inherently inimical to our most basic
ideas of freedom.  They *never* even want to *discuss* it.  I have
heard nearly ZERO about this from the present Administration.  And
THAT is WRONG.

Never mind that the President has probably, in his life, violated the
law and used and possibly purchased illegal drugs.  I DON'T CARE.
What I do care about is that our basic freedoms are threatened, and
millions of individual lives have been and continue to be
fundamentally damaged, and Drug Laws are routinely increasingly used
as Pretexts for all manner of violation of basic Property and
Individual Constitutional Rights (for example: Drug Property Seizure
Laws) and this goes on for decade after decade after decade, and we
don't even discuss the matter, ever.

Biofuels at Journey to Forever
Biofuel at WebConX
http://webconx.green-trust.org/2000/biofuel/biofuel.htm