Posted this on yahoogroups vegoil-diesel
May be of interest to people here who are not there (?)

Darren Hill
www.vegburner.co.uk

> Stephan,
>
> I just installed an Elsbett one-tank kit on an '84 Mercedes 300TD
> wagon, and it works great, but not everyone who'd like a single-tank
> system can afford the price of an Elsbett. I've seen your posts about
> increasing the opening pressure of injectors to accommodate WVO/SVO,
> and I think you've also posted about modified injector nozzle bodies
> and nozzle valves, and maybe even about glow plugs that get hotter and
> will tolerate being on longer.
>
> Do you sell any of this, or have sources - and even part numbers - for

> any of it?
>
> Thanks,
> Craig

Craig

As Stephan hasn't got back yet here is something to chew on for the time
being.  A gold mine.  All of it, and maybe more, although I think this
is most of the usefull info., should be in the yahoo archieves.

:-

So the Duratherm plugs are a brand name by Bosch. There are however
equivalent Champion/NGK and Beru products. I'm surprized to hear that
Bosch are the cheapest. Those Duratherm plugs become hotter and can
stand higher temperatures during the after start heating period ( and as
well some cars have intermediate heating as e.g. newer Vauxhall/Opel
Astra whirlchamber engines). All you need are the plugs and a relais
that supports after start heating. Normally, you preheating is switched
off when you turn the keys to start the engine. Depending on coolant
water temperature the after start relais keeps the plugs heating up to 3
min after start. So your engine will have a better idle speed after cold
starts.
Prices: AFA I can remember, the relais was about 90,-DM= 30 GBP; plugs
cost about 120 DM = 40 GBP. So about 70 GBP should be enough for it.
However, a cheap source is Henzo at www.dieselsend.de. I don't
participate in his business and I'm not marketing him, but he is a
member of our two German forums and his prices are bargains usually. So
maybe write him an e-mail. He does speak English as well.

-       VW uses an oil cooler heat exchanger which is between oil filter
and
filter holder. Can be used as coolant water heater for vegoil. You can
fix a fuel filter instead of the oil filter and the fuel filter can be
heated as well with this. That keeps the filter from getting clogged in
winter.

- Audi A 8 TDI uses a fuel cooler (!) to cool down hot fuel before it
goes back into the plastic tank. It's very small and efficient. Produced
by Austrian KTM company.

- Peugeot uses water heated fuel filters

- Fiat, Peugeot, Vauxhall and many more use an 150W electric Bosch fuel
filter heater which is mounted between fuel filter and filter holder.
You will just need to modify the temperature relais as it switches off
at 15°C originally.

- Lots of different types of glow plugs can be used for fuel preheaters.

---------------------------------------

12 nozzles have a much better spray pattern than 0° nozzles which you
can find in whirl- and prechamber diesels, normally. 12° nozzles only
make sense with whirlchamber diesels. 12° nozzles don't have a straight
tip of nozzle but a conical shape of it (hope I got it rith with this).
This gives a much finer fuel spray even with cold, thicker vegoil. These
nozzles also generate a little preinjection. This results into smoother
ignitions as not all injected fuel is ignites at once in a "big"
explosion. Expecially with vegoil diesels often run very rough at idle
speed. Vegoil has a much more delayed ignition than diesel. This results
into a suddan combustion of all injected fuel as there is more time to
inject fuel between the opening of the nozzle and the piont of self
ignition. Fuel just accumulates in the whirlchamber until it
self-ignites. So it's clear that much more fuel can accumulate if the
ignition takes place later. 12° nozzles start with a small beam of fuel
which can ignite first. The main load is injected after the first
ignition and can ignite as well which gives a much better combustion and
less smoke. Nozzle types are any Bosch DN 12 SD xxx or Lucas
equivalents. Find them e.g. in Ford 1,8L D/TD engines type:
RFM/RFN/RTA/RTE/RTF/RTH most likely as Rotodiesel/Lucas injectors.

Longer glow plugs improve cold starts and also avoid bad idling after
start (if you use an after start heating relais). Normally glow plugs
for whirlchamber VWs are afaik 21mm. Use 23mm (= 2mm more) and the tip
of plug will be slightly within the spray cone of the injector. If fuel
hits the hot plug it will ignite easier- especially in winter.
BUT: as the plug will *always* be within the spray cone, it will be
within the flames and must stand more heat than actually intended.
Therefore *only* use "Bosch Cromium / Duratherm" or Beru/Lucas
equivalents!!! Otherwise plugs will be burnt off and particles can get
into the combustion chamber and destroy valves, whirlchambers, the
piston or even the turbocharger. However, many people with those
Duratherm/Cromiums used them successfully without problems. Maybe
contact Henzo for cheap plugs. Feel free to call me if there are
questions left.

Stephan

It's not a TDI. That's why we can talk about one tank solution. The
wider angle referred to the spray cone of the nozzle injector. Combined
with a longer glow plug it's the perfect one tank conversion for
whirlchamber diesels. You only need to take care you have clean filtered
oil and don't run the engine (and so the pump) over 2000rpm until the
heat exchanger is warmed up.

Hello Sebastian

I'm just going through your questions as they came:

1.) Heating diesel up to vegoil temperature does no harm to the engine
or produce any danger. It only can lead to a loss of power as heated
diesel had a still lower density and actually more would have to be
injected to make up for lower density. But as this is not the case you
might feel your car a bit weaker than with vegoil. If you have a glow
plug heater: Either switch it of or if it has a high-temp shut off (e.g.
a bimetal-switch) leave it as it is. Only make sure it realls *has* an
emergency shut off at above 70°C.

2.) I also have coked injectors. This leads to a noisy engine sometimes
and on half load it produces a rocking manner of the engine. Do you have
12°s?? They get a little "crown" or a "hat" of soot on top of the
pintle. Simply remove it- but it will come back. Henzo and some others
have recently testet another injector used in the AAZ engine (Golf 3td;
1,9L). They seem to have a higher flow capacity and also use a little
preinjection. Though they are 0°s they had very good results and much
more power than with any other injector before. I will test it as well
and see... They are labled "DN 0 SD 294". Install them with 165bar on
turbodiesels or with 145bar in ordinary ones.

3.) Yes. Also 12° nozzles need support from longer glow plugs (e.g. 4
Glowplugs BOSCH Duraterm Chromium 0 250 201 045 (25 mm instead of only
21mm)  EUR 83,-- from Henzo alternativ für 36,-€/Sück bei Beru GN 909).
Otherwise you will need to start twice- also depending on the
oil-quality. We also know something we call "sawing"- the engine speed
goes up and down in waves for the first time after start. That's due to
bad combustion in cold engines. It will disappear with an after start
glow plug relais (*and* longer plugs) mostly.

4.) SVO gives less particles when the engine is warm. Cold starts are
still a problem, but smoke can be reduced by the above mentioned efforts
with relais and longer plugs. Most people have about half the k-values
at MOT emmision tests.

OK, hope that helps.

Stephan

Yes you can. But it depnds on what you call an ordinary injector.
Mercedes, Vauxhall, VW etc. usually have the KCA size nozzle holders
with a afaik M 24 thread for the cylinder head. These injectors have two
parts. The upper parts contains the fuel line adapters and the leak
hoses. The lower part contains the actual injector nozzle whereas in the
upper part there is only the spring that determines the opening
pressure. Changing the injector nozzles works as follows: 1. threw out
the injector of the cylinder head. The engine should be worm as
otherwise you might damage the thread in the aluminium. 2. fix the
injector upside down into a vice. 3. open it just a little bit and then
get it out of the vice and go on by hand. 4. get it upright again and
lift off the upper part. The spring will come out and if you are lucky
the little plate as well which is on top of the spring. Thicker plates
will increase the spring pressure and with this the opening pressure. 5.
the lower parts consists of a ring with two little holes. In the middle
is the pintle. Only get off the ring first and then you can get the
whole nozzle inlet including the pintle.
This should have a number like DN 0 SD xxx.

6. Installing: Just go back the same way.

7. IMPORTANT: Make sure your workspace is really clean. Otherwise
injectors won't work properly anymore afterwards. Landrover 110 single
tank