Hi MM

>Thanks for forwarding this Keith.

You're welcome - same problem you and I both have sometimes,
crossposting stuff to various lists, but then some stuff ends up at
some lists but not others. This is an interesting topic, IMO, I
didn't want us to lose track of what Mark's saying about it.

>A very interesting read.  What a pity that in
>the land of "freedom" Americans literally in their own backyards have to
>struggle so much to go into entrepeneurial exciting productive new businesses.
>What a pity that this is not recognized for the widespread problem and major
>cause for concern that it is.  I really enjoyed the author's balanced
>perspective and search for a compromise.  For example, the way he or she

She. Here's a photograph of Mark teaching at one of her biodiesel courses:
http://www.veggieavenger.com/news/imagewindow.php?image=srbdc-40

>made
>clear to recognize the legitimacy of some intent in the law to keep
>workers and
>communities safe from chemical-handling hazards, but at the same
>time made clear
>that the net effect seems to be a clash for nascient efforts trying
>to make a go
>of it, particularly if they are not able or are unwilling to meet
>what sometimes
>seem like excessive regulations.  It seems like a mature recounting of those
>aspects of the law that seem legit and worth following and those aspects the
>following of which will invariably lead to zero business and so
>unfortunately a
>way must be found around them for now.  I wonder that the supposedly
>pro-business pro-freedom Administration we have in place doesn't ask
>if there's
>anything they can do to somehow modify the laws to make them a more reasonable
>burden.  But then I'd have to assume they really mean their preaching about
>principles and so forth, and I'm not sure they do, consistently.

I think there may be some here who'll be after nominating you for the
Nobel Prize for Understatement for that last bit, MM.

:-)

Regards

Keith

> >>anyway I think it's obvious my point is that it's harder to do this
> >>legally than people think when they're starting out down the coop or
> >>small producer road. We just had a guy from the county household
> >>hazardous materials dept join our coop (as a private diesel driver,
> >>not a spy or anything) and he reiterated what a few of us were
> >>already saying: you can make biodiesel at home or in a very small co-
> >>op 'under the radar' and no one will complain, but once you try to
> >>get any bigger than a few people making a few gallons for their own
> >>needs you will draw massive regulatory attention that is out of the
> >>financial reach of small scale coops and individuals.

Biofuels at Journey to Forever
Biofuel at WebConX
http://webconx.green-trust.org/2000/biofuel/biofuel.htm
List messages are archived at the Info-Archive at NNYTech: