Prof. Allen,

Thanks for your valuable information and I would definitely consider
about it thoroughly. As your predict, I am an undergraduate in UK but
I am origin from Malaysia. Therefore, from this point, I might not
produce my own biodiesel, but I will certainly make it after I back
to my hometown, as the palm oils are everywhere. Besides, its
kinda 'waste' if I knew so much about the benefits of biodiesel and
not fully utilised it.

For your information, I had carried out a simple calculation on Heat
of reaction for transesterification based on RBD palm stearin. But
the figure seems to be unreasonable, highly exothermic reaction (up
to -1000kJ/mol) was obtained by using the average value of Heat of
formation of fatty acid.

However, we knew that the molecular weight of oil is approximately 3
times higher than the molecular weight of biodiesel. Therefore, by
applying this concept, I can obtained an endothermic figure
(approximately 50KJ/mol). But the uncertainties are very high. As you
might be awared of the enthalpy change within the system are not
taken into account.

I am running my design mode at 1.5 - 2 bar. Therefore, the design
temperature is 65 deg C (well above upper limit, as methanol boiling
point is 72deg C at 1.5 bar). A series of CSTR are used. Conversion
is design at 95%. However, the kinetics from Darnoko & Cheryan (2000)
seems to be varied much from my simulation. I am applying Kinetics of
Soybean oil, from Noureddini & Zhu (1997), which seems to be matching
with my design mode. But rate constant of Darnoko (2000) was used.

Cheers,
Gann

--- In biofuels-biz@yahoogroups.com, Michael Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Dear Gann,
>
> Your e-mail is addressed to Keith but I can probably answer some of
your questions:

> >Thanks Keith for your information, in fact I already got a copy of
> >that.
>
> By "that" you mean the paper by D. Darnoko and Munir Cheryan,
> I think?
>
> >Anyway, just another few questions, during the transesterification
> >process, the mixture (Oil and methanol) eventually getting hotter
or
> >cooler?
>
> You want to know if the reaction is exo-thermic or endo-thermic?
> I can't help you there except to say that the enthalpy change is
pretty small and can be
> neglected without much error. We are trying to measure it at
present but we really need a
> sensitive differential thermal reactor system to do it properly.
You might find the enthalpy
> of formation for some of the fatty acids but I doubt that you will
find much thermodynamic
> data on the glyceryl or methyl esters in the literature. Anyway,
natural oils contain a
> variable mix of this lot so the formal petro-chemical type of
approach won't work here.

> From your previous e-mail, it occurs to me that you are completing
an undergraduate
> project in process design rather than seriousl;y thinking of
biodiesel production. Am I
> correct?
>
> If you are, then Chemshare, Chemcad, Aspen, Hysys (T/M )and other
such software
> packages can be used for process design but only if you make up
some "hypothetical"
> components and feed in the measured rate data to tell the software
what to do. That is
> where the Darnoko and Cheryan paper should give you some clues.
>
> > And what is the recommended temperature to carry out such
> >reaction at practise (room temperature) ?
>
> Well. as you must have read in the Journey to Forever archives, the
answer to this
> question is somewhere between 50C and 64.8C. This upper limit is
imposed by the boiling
> point of methanol at one atmosphere. A deep reactor provides enough
hydrostatic
> pressure to go a bit higher (say 70C) (and you can even stretch
this a bit if you design for
> a cloud of collapsing bubbles and some methanol recycling by
condensation).

> The lower limit is determined by the low rate of reaction that
occurs at lower temperatures.
> It certainly isn't fixed and engraved in stone! We found that you
can make biodiesel
> based on an oil containing mainly olein at 35C but we need 60C for
a stearin based oil!
> The Arrhenius equation and the graphs given by Darnoko and Cheryan
should give you
> the idea. You might consider repeating  their work with the oil you
have in mind so that
> you can get rates, yields and temperatures relevant to your problem.
>
> I agree entirely with Keith in that you could do a lot worse than
start with Alex's Foolproof
> Reactor and get some personal experience. Then see if Darnoko &
Cheryan's models
> "fit" your observations. Certainly once you have made some
biodiesel, you will know what
> the important parameters are and what further questions you need to
ask.

> (IMO You should always keep in mind that the literature contains
practical
> measurements which have been presented in a form to fit the pre-
conceived ideas of the
> authors and the general scientific community! With your own work,
you might just see
> something that no one else has noticed! Of such things are Nobel
Prizes made . . . . . . )

> >Besides, from the Journal, it is recommended to have high speed
> >stirrer or agitator to increase the mass transfer, therefore,
would
> >it be wise if the high speed agitator provided at the begining of
the
> >process, follow by moderate or even low speed for the rest of the
> >time, to save some of the energy consumption?
>
> I'm sure you realise that in any liquid-liquid reaction, the size
of the interfacial area is
> critical in determining the rate. Agitation must be adequate to
make sure that the
> methanol/methoxide droplets are small and come into contact with
the unreacted oil.
> That's all really! Much can be achieved by just introducing the
methanol/methoxide
> through a series of small holes so that turbulence is induced. In
that olein reactor I
> mentioned, you only need to shake the reactants by hand in a glass
jar to get a reaction.
> (We called it our "007" reactor because it was shaken ........ not
stirred)

> If you are contemplating the design of a continuous reactor, you
might consider using a
> venturi mixer at the entrance to a short plug-flow reactor (and
maybe put a series of these
> reactor modules together so that the methanol/methoxide is added in
three or four
> places). Or you might perhaps go for a mixer- settler type of unit
where the glycerol is
> separated out at each stage.
>
> Then there is the pulsed reactor . . . . . .
>
> But I presume that you have already read the Journeytoforever pages
>
> Whatever you have in mind, some practical work with a simple batch
reactor would give
> you a much greater insight into what is happening than anything I
can say.

> >Cheers,
> >Gann
> >

> And to you likewise
>
> Michael Allen
>
> >--------------------------------------
> >
> >> Hello Gann
> >>
> >> Michael Allen sent me an interesting paper about the kinetics at
> >the
> >> time the palm oil discussions were going on. There wasn't a url
for
> >> it though, and it's a pdf file. So I put it online in our
Biofuels
> >> Library. It's here:
> >>
> >> Kinetics of Palm Oil Transesterification in a Batch Reactor, by
D.
> >> Darnoko and Munir Cheryan, University of Illinois, Department of
> >Food
> >> Science and Human Nutrition, Agricultural Bioprocess Laboratory,
> >> Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society (JAOCS) Vol. 77,
No.
> >12
> >> (2000) --What happens during the biodiesel process reaction.
> >Acrobat
> >> file, 72Kb.
> >> http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/transesterification%
> >20paper.pdf
> >>
> >> See also:
> >>
> >> Biodiesel processors
> >> Mike Pelly's new processor
> >> "Foolproof" method processors
> >> The touchless processor
> >> Continuous reactors
> >> Biodiesel technology
> >> Simon's guide to building a biodiesel mixer
> >> Ian's vacuum biodiesel processor
> >> Chuck Ranum's biodiesel processor
> >> How to make a cone-bottomed processor
> >> http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_processor.html