--- In biofuels-biz@yahoogroups.com, Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> MIT study skeptical about fuel cell vehicles
>
> A new study by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)
> concluded that diesel hybrids will be better than hydrogen fuel
cell
> vehicles in terms of total energy efficiency and greenhouse gas
> emissions until at least 2020. Furthermore, adoption of the
hydrogen-
> based vehicle will require major infrastructure changes to make
> compressed hydrogen available.

Keith-

The MIT study has been thoroughly discussed on the Yahoo Finance
Ballard Power Board.

A few points:

1. The study was partially funded by American Petroleum Institute.
Don't know who funded the rest.

2. It underestimates the efficiency of reforming natural gas into
hydrogen, key to the overall outcome.  I would suggest you read this
posting by gomor9
http://messages.yahoo.com/bbs?.mm=FN&action=m&board=8728891&tid=bldpf&;
sid=8728891&mid=84558 to get a grip on the issue.  Although several
have claimed gomor9 was wrong, he has effectively answered them,
IMO.  This efficiency factor is one of the keys to the outcome of the
study, and the bias was against fuel cells and towards diesel
hybrids.  As gomor9 points out, Osaka Gas already claims to have a
reformer with significantly higher efficiency, even though it is for
very small volumes.

3. The conversion efficiency of oil into diesel is overestimated for
likely future scenarios.  If we are relying on heavy oils from
California, Athabasca, Trinidad, or Venzuela, there is a loss for
steam injection into those wells.  And at some point, even Middle
Eastern oil, which had extremely high natural pressure to begin with,
will need secondary and tertiary recovery techniques.

4. As an example of how unrealistic the study is, it is based on oil
being available for a price of $12 to $32 per barrel in 2020.  Nor
does it consider the externalities of acquiring oil or the
externalities of pollution.  Likewise, it never considers compressed
hydrogen generated by hydrolysis as a fuel.

And, to be fair, my bias is that I own some Ballard stock.

Steve

Make Money Online Auctions! Make $500.00 or We Will Give You Thirty Dollars for
Trying!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/yMx78A/fNtFAA/i5gGAA/9bTolB/TM