>bush and the current admin are pushing for the hydrogen cars because
>they want to revive the nuclear power industry...they see us using nukes
>to crack water and make hydrogen...what does everyone think about this?
>
>kn
>sac, ca

Nukes and fossil-fuels both I'd say. This just in on nukes:

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-nuke4may04,1,5129372.story

May 4, 2003

THE NATION

Nuclear Energy Industry Sees Its Fortunes Turning in Capital

By Richard Simon, Times Staff Writer

WASHINGTON - The U.S. nuclear power industry - at a virtual
standstill for more than 20 years and looking particularly bleak
after Sept. 11, 2001 - could be on the threshold of a comeback.

Since 1973, no company has ordered a nuclear plant that it eventually
completed. Now, energy legislation expected to clear the Senate
within the next few weeks would provide federal loan guarantees for
up to half the cost of building as many as six new nuclear power
plants.

The federal loan guarantees would be just one part - although an
important one - of a complicated economic and political puzzle that
would need to be assembled before any nuclear plants are built. Wall
Street still must be convinced of the economic viability of
constructing such plants. And nuclear power remains controversial,
with critics charging that the benefits aren't worth the risks of a
catastrophic accident.

Security concerns spiked after Sept. 11. Doomsday scenarios
envisioned a hijacked plane crashing into one of the nation's 103
commercial nuclear power plants, potentially causing radiation leaks.
Government officials beefed up security at plants and distributed
nearly 10 million potassium iodide pills, which can help protect the
thyroid in case of an emergency, to residents near plants.

Supporters of nuclear power believe it is important that the industry
move forward again.

The industry's fortunes have improved under President Bush, who has
made expansion of nuclear power a prime goal of his energy policy.
They brightened more after Republicans gained control of both
chambers of Congress in last year's elections and Sen. Pete V.
Domenici (R-N.M.) became chairman of the Senate Energy and Natural
Resources Committee.

Domenici, whose home state was the site of the first test of an
atomic bomb in 1945 and today is where two national nuclear
laboratories operate, is the author of the Senate legislation. He is
confident about the prospects for the measure, citing congressional
approval last year for designating Nevada's Yucca Mountain as the
nation's nuclear waste repository.

Along with the loan guarantees, the Senate bill would authorize $1
billion for building an "advanced" nuclear reactor in Idaho that
would produce hydrogen, a fuel that Bush has championed for cars. "If
the demonstration [project] succeeds, it could well initiate a major
nuclear reactor renaissance," said Jay E. Silberg, a Washington
lawyer for nuclear utilities.

The Senate legislation and an energy bill approved by the House last
month would extend a cap on the nuclear industry's liability in case
of an accident. And both measures would authorize millions of dollars
for nuclear research.

Although the House energy bill does not include the loan guarantees,
the issue is likely to be on the table when House and Senate
negotiators draw up a final measure.

"Suffice to say America needs a strong nuclear power industry if
we're going to meet our energy needs in the 21st century," said Ken
Johnson, a spokesman for W.J. "Billy" Tauzin (R-La.), chairman of the
House Energy and Commerce Committee.

Today, nuclear power generates about one-fifth of the nation's
electricity. But high construction costs, as well as public protests
after the 1979 accident at the Three Mile Island reactor in
Pennsylvania, stopped the industry's growth.

Domenici has touted nuclear energy as a cleaner alternative to coal
and oil. And he has argued that nuclear power is necessary to prevent
the supply shortages and price spikes that occur from too much
reliance on a single energy source.

Domenici has been one of the top recipients of campaign contributions
from the nuclear power industry, receiving more than $67,000 from
January 2001 through early 2002 in individual and political action
committee donations from companies that own or build nuclear power
plants, according to the Center for Responsive Politics, a political
watchdog group. The industry gave nearly $9 million overall to
congressional candidates and political parties, almost two-thirds of
it to Republicans.

But the industry's expansion still faces political opposition.

"Until there's a [resolution] of the nuclear waste issue, it's
ridiculous to even talk about" expanding nuclear power, Sen. Harry
Reid (D-Nev.) said. For instance, legal challenges to the use of
Yucca Mountain for waste disposal are pending.

Additionally, he said, the public remains "scared to death" about
nuclear power. "Where you going to put one [a plant]? Not in my
backyard - that's what everybody's going to say."

Lisa Gue, an energy analyst for Public Citizen, a Washington-based
consumer advocacy group, decried the Domenici-drafted legislation.
"Here we see a piece of legislation that continues to prop up one of
the most expensive and potentially most lethal forms of electric
generation," she said.

Under the measure, the government would provide loan guarantees or
guarantee electricity purchases to spur the building of as much as
8,400 megawatts of production capacity - enough for up to 8 million
homes. Last year, nuclear plants generated electricity to power 70
million homes, according to industry officials.

"I think there is a bright future for this industry," said John Kane,
senior vice president of government affairs for the Nuclear Energy
Institute, a Washington-based industry group. "We're safe. We're
cheap. We're clean. I can't help but think we're going to begin to
build a new plant in this country in the next five to 10 years."

Silberg, the utilities lawyer, said: "Utilities will certainly be in
a better position to commit to new nuclear plant construction with
the loan guarantees. But the utilities will ultimately have to be
convinced that the construction of new plants makes economic sense."

Other experts say that ultimately it will be Wall Street - not
Washington - that determines the industry's fate. Nuclear plants can
cost at least two times as much to build as natural gas plants,
though industry officials say nuclear plants are more economical to
operate.

"Until the price of nuclear plants comes down, no one is likely to
ask for the loans," said Geoffrey Rothwell, a Stanford University
economist.

Some lawmakers remain concerned about the security of nuclear plants.
A Senate committee this month is expected to consider legislation
that would impose new security requirements at such facilities.
Industry officials contend that nuclear plants are safe.

On Capitol Hill, the loan guarantees also face opposition.

Domenici's New Mexico colleague, Sen. Jeff Bingaman, a Democrat who
regards himself as pro-nuclear, said he has "great difficulty"
justifying loan guarantees to a mature industry.

Sen. Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) warned that the loan guarantees could expose
the Treasury to a risk of as much as $30 billion, a figure that the
industry disputes. Wyden has pointed out that the Washington Public
Power Supply System in 1983 defaulted on $2.25 billion in bonds - at
the time the worst bond default in U.S. history - after cost overruns
and construction snafus forced cancellation of four of five planned
nuclear plants in the Pacific Northwest.

"Private investors have stayed away from nuclear power because
nuclear-fired electricity is much more expensive than coal- or
gas-fired electricity," said Keith Ashdown, vice president of policy
for Taxpayers for Common Sense.

Supporters of the loan guarantees say the nuclear industry is only
seeking the same kind of assistance that has been provided to other
industries, such as the airlines and shipbuilders.

"The opponents of this just don't want to see nuclear plants built,"
Kane said. "Because I can't think of any other reasons why you
wouldn't want to have emission-free [plants] that can produce great
gobs of electricity very cheaply."

Rent DVDs from home.
Over 14,500 titles. Free Shipping
& No Late Fees. Try Netflix for FREE!