Hello Steve

>Use Fish Oil or Algae for making Biodiesel. Read how the US Navy
>will be producing their own biodiesel. Get the scoop on a variety of
>biofuel technologies. Check out
>http://webconx.green-trust.org/2000/biofuel/biofuel.htm

We recently discussed using fish oil for biodiesel, and the pdf file
on UniSea's project in Alaska was mentioned then:
http://www.aidea.org/Unisea.pdf

Discussion here:
http://archive.nnytech.net/index.php?view=29516&list=BIOFUEL

"The assessment of any impacts on the engines' operability and
maintainability will not be completed until after test operations
conclude in October 2002. Results to date have been very encouraging,
however, with no apparent adverse effects on the engines."

More than a year ago, and nothing since.

Fish oil has a high iodine value - sardine oil: 185, that's higher
than linseed or tung oil. That means it's a drying oil, it
polymerises: "the oil irreversibly polymerises into a plastic-like
solid". Biodiesel made from fish oil will also polymerise. See:
Iodine Values -- High Iodine Values
http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_yield.html#iodine

So maybe they use it quickly, before it dries. I didn't find anything
in that UniSea file about iodine values, drying, or polymerization.

I think, Steve, if you're going to encourage people to make biodiesel
from fish oil, it needs a warning that it might polymerize.

There's also been previous list discussion of UniSea and their
project, lots of info here, with discussion on fish fat etc.:
http://archive.nnytech.net/index.php?view=12829&list=biofuel&related=1

Biodiesel from algae is not a ready-to-use technology, certainly not
for backyarders, it needs more work for that. List members have
investigated it, run up against problems for practical application,
and abandoned the idea; some have tried it but never reported any
results. That's not to say it's not worth further investigation, of
course it is, but it's not yet a viable technique people can use.

Best

Keith

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/9bTolB/TM